Re: [amibroker] Few Newbie Questions re: yahoo data

  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:09:35 -0800
  • From: "NW Trader" <ta4charts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Few Newbie Questions re: yahoo data

Hi Vernon,

I'm no spring chicken myself, and this is my third profession. But with a son in law school and a daughter about to start grad school, the concept of "retirement" is one that eludes me. <VBG>

I've been trading for living now for over 15 years (and involved with investing for 40+ years) and still love it.  Like you, I've purchased thousands of dollars of books over the years, but now am very selective as many are truly not worth the price and often overlap very extensively.  It's not that there's nothing new under the sun, but it's rare to find a book that I would recommend to others and now generally buy only a few books each year.  Education is a continuing need in the trading business so you should budget some monies for new books, just like you must for new equipment, software, and (yes) data feeds.

One of the better deals out there (IMHO) is the Professional Traders package from the magazine TA for Stocks and Commodities (TASC). You get a five year subscription to TASC, Traders.com Advantage, and Working Money (the last two are online resources), the current and next year's DVD of all TASC issues (26 Volumes, back to early 1980's), plus a free book or hard bound volume of a year of TASC articles. It runs $495 and is well worth it as you'll get thousands of dollars of education. see http://store.traders.com/proftradstar1.html for more info on the package or http://traders.com/ for info about TASC.  AB code written by Tomasz pertaining to a lead article is regularly published in the Traders Tips section of the magazine.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your use of AAII's software and data. I've been a life member for 20+ years, but never got their data/software package.  Don't know how well it would integrate with AB, but if one wanted to do fundamental screening and then port candidates to AB for study, I suppose that could work.

Anyway, welcome to AB land, good luck and ask questions as often as you need. There are a lot of good people here.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick