Re: [amibroker] Amibroker Perspective

  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:05:40 -0500
  • From: Herman <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Amibroker Perspective

AmiBroker's accuracy doesn't play a role in system performance (it is
accurate) what you probably mean is what kind of slippage you can
expect. The effect of slippage would depend on your average profit.
You can simulate and check the effect of slippage by increasing your
commission level.

Without position sizing you can get unrealistic profits. You also need
to check your Limit Trade Sizing setting in the AA. Suppose you enter
at the open and want to get the open price, you will need to inspect
the volume at that instant. Your window for a satisfactory fill may
only be one minute. What is the typical volume for that one Minute?
Would your system still be profitably if you limit your trades to 5%
of that volume? You may have to switch to Real-Time minute data to be
sure.

Another question  is  whether  you  would  have been able to stick to the
system :-)

What was your worst Draw Down?
How long was the DrawDown?

If   your   system   is  in  a  DD  for months at a time, which is not
unusual for  a  system  giving  high profits over a ten year period,
very few traders would stick to the system.

Finally - be sure your code is sound. It is very easy to build-in small
logical   errors  that give you huge profits. For some examples see:
 http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/2007/07/21/system-design-pitfalls/
Some of these errors are almost impossible to detect unless you test
the system using simulated account, and trade the system for a week.
Than compare each trade with those your Backtester got. I you get a
match you'll get rich :-)

herman

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/