Re: [amibroker] Re: Multiple Systems & Risk Mgmt in one formula

  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 23:18:45 +0200
  • From: Ilhan Ketrez <ketrezilhan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Multiple Systems & Risk Mgmt in one formula

Let me correct my previous e-mail first (corrections are in red):

Considering bo is the backtester object;

In Amibroker:
- bo.Equity is the bar by bar value of the equity
- bo.Equity = bo.Cash + total value of positions //see below for definition
- bo.Cash = (Entry Bar)Equity - total(margindeposit*shares) // Stays constant as long as the positions are maintained
- Value of position = margindeposit*shares +- position P&L

In real life:
- Equity is the day by day value of the equity
- Equity = Cash + total(margindeposit*shares) +- total(position P&L)
- Cash = Equity - total(margindeposit*shares) +- total(position P&L)
- value of position - no need to define (at most the initial margindeposit*shares is required to keep the position)

---
Mike

Let me give you an extreme example:
Please assume that you enter some positions at a bar and you have $50 cash left. All the positions are profitable and you have total(position P&L) of $50,000. Your "buyingPower" variable increases to $50,050. Backtester's buying power stays as $50. It cannot open a position as long as it doesn't have cash.

I wonder your additional comments.

Thank you.
Ilhan Ketrez

It's been a while since I looked at this, so do your own testing. But, try something like this:

gain = bo.Equity - bo.Cash + bo.MarginLoan; // Unrealized gain from holdings

buyingPower = (bo.Cash + gain) * 2; // Half equity : half margin.

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ilhan Ketrez <ketrezilhan@xxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thank you for participating.
> As you mention and as I understand, considering bo is the backtester object;
>
> In Amibroker:
> - bo.Equity is the bar by bar value of the equity
> - bo.Equity = bo.Cash + total value of positions //see below for definition
> - bo.Cash = bo.Equity - total(margindeposit*shares)
> - Value of position = margindeposit*shares +- position P&L
>
> In real life:
> - Equity is the day by day value of the equity
> - Equity = Cash + total(margindeposit*shares) +- total(position P&L)
> - Cash = Equity - total(margindeposit*shares) +- total(position P&L)
> - value of position - no need to define (at most the initial
> margindeposit*shares is required to keep the position)
>
> Amibroker states that due to the ambiguity & variance in initial margin
> deposits and maintenance margin deposits,
> they prefer to include it in the position value variable. However this
> solution prevents coding margin calls and
> hence also prevent playing at the limits in terms of position sizing such as
> opening positions by using
> profits of open positions.
>
> I wonder your additional comments on the subject.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ilhan
>

> 2010/2/25 tf28373 <tomfid@xxx>

> > I've thought that it's just required to define the difference between
> > bo.Equity (which - as I've understood - is current value of our intial
> > equity and all open positions) and bo.Cash (initial capital minus cost of
> > opening position that is margin deposit) in order to estimate if trades are
> > gainers/losers and, thus, current available capital...? Isn't it like that?
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>, Ilhan

> > Ketrez <ketrezilhan@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes. Simple backtester doesn't know the equity and capital available.
> > > CBI does know the Equity.
> > > Even the CBI doesn't know the actual available capital unless we define
> > and
> > > calculate ourselves.
> > > And even if we define and calculate, we still cannot utilize it when we
> > need
> > > since we cannot define it as BacktesterObject.Cash.
> > > BacktesterObject.Cash gives the difference of Equity - entry time (shares
> > *
> > > margindeposit). Cash earned/lost by the position stays in the position
> > and
> > > doesn't change the BacktesterObject.Cash.

> > the
> > the

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/