[amibroker] Re: Empirical Mode Decomposition

  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:42:51 -0000
  • From: "bbands" <BBands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: Empirical Mode Decomposition

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ton Sieverding" <ton.sieverding@xxx> wrote:

> Hi John. It's not that I cannot translate lines 29 thru 36 in AFL. My problem is that I do not understand the code :
>
> 29. if BP[1] > BP and BP[1] > BP[2] then
> 30. Peak = BP[1]
> 31. else if BP[1] < BP and BP[1] < BP[2] then
> 32. Valley = BP[1] ;
>
> What's the difference between Peak and Valley in the above code ? For me they always have the same value because whatever happens this value is BP[1] ...
>
> BTW BP is an array and AFL handles this with the double if.( Iff( BP<Ref(BP,-1) etc. ) ...
Ton,

First, I think the John Ehlers' work in the article is quite elegant and very interesting.

As I grok it:

Peaks: If the last period is greater than the current period and the prior period then peak = last period else peak equals the prior value of peak.

c c

Valleys: If the last period is less than the current period and the prior period then valley = last period else valley equals the prior value of valley.

c c

So peak and valley always contains the value to the most recent high point and low point, where a high point is a point surrounded by lower points and a low point is a point surrounded by higher points.

I have done a lot of work on these ideas, which I call hips and lops and Wheeler called circled highs and lows. The big difference here being that closes are used instead of highs and lows.

You can see hips and lops in action on our forex site, www.BBForex.com.

So this neatly combines several area of interest for me, hips and lops and bands.

Thanks for having a look at it,

John Bollinger

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/