Re: [amibroker] Re: Position management systems

  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:38:42 -0800
  • From: "NW Trader" <pk47hargus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Position management systems

Hi Ron,

This may not be what you are looking for given that you think of Quicken and the others you mentioned as position management software.  Personally I characterize them as personal finance management tools, not trade or position management software.

But if it is trade and position management software you are interested in (at least to my way of thinking), check out Orchid Technologies' ManusRisco, http://manusrisco.orchidtech.com/manus/index.asp .  Not free, but an excellent tool for both the professional and private trader, which can help you not only manage your positions, but examine and analyze your trading.

If on the other hand you are simply looking for something that will allow you to record your historical trades, track you profit and loss, assist in computing your estimated quarterly tax payment and generate a 1040 D-1 list of trades, then I personally prefer a spreadsheet.  I've written such and it isn't difficult to maintain (and I do hundreds of trades a year) if you stay on top of it daily or at leas weekly.  The IRS has been accepting my printout as a substitute D-1 (about 50 pages year before last) without problem.  Years ago I used Quicken, but after it hiccupped and corrupted over six months of accounts (including every backup I tried to open or import), I said good by and good riddance.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick