Re: [amibroker]OT Mozila Thunderbird Mails Recovery:

  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:32:13 -0500
  • From: Keith McCombs <kmccombs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker]OT Mozila Thunderbird Mails Recovery:

Asis --
First, STOP using that computer.  The more you use it the harder it will be to recover your old emails.

Second, using a different computer, go to:
http://lifehacker.com/393084/how-to-recover-deleted-files-with-free-software
for honest advise.  But don't do anything with your problem computer until you do the following.

Third, make an image of your hard drive before anything else:
Some commercial programs are at:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-image-for-windows.htm
Image-for-Widows, I4W, is excellent, but a bit "geeky".  Includes for free I4DOS and I4Linux.  My personal choice.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
Easier to use than I4W above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_disk_cloning_software
For a too complete list of almost everyone who makes such software, including many free sources.

Let me repeat, "
make an image of your hard drive before anything else".  This means that you do not install the imaging software on the problem computer.  Instead you install it on either a CD, USB, or floppy drive and run the imaging software from there.

The above is your safest approach, but like investing, is not guaranteed.

Good Luck
-- Keith

BTW, notice that I added the letters, OT, to your subject.  OT stands for Off Topic and is customary when not discussing AB directly.

BTW2,
in any case, you should have and use disk imaging software on a regular basis.