[amibroker] Re: Mutual funds are outperforming ETFs big time, but they shouldn't...why?

  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:38:53 -0000
  • From: "graphman27" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: Mutual funds are outperforming ETFs big time, but they shouldn't...why?

Thanks - I will do that today.  However, here is the weird thing about all this.  As I mentioned, after optimizing a strategy for say an Asia mutual fund, I can choose similar Asia mutual funds and get performance results that are pretty much ballpark the same.  Some are much better, some are a little less and many are very similar.  However, when I choose ANY Asia ETF, NONE of them even come close to the mutual fund performance.  Yet, the buy & hold performance of each is very similar and they all have 95%+ correlation to each other.

Originally, I just thought because the mutual funds were actively managed that that made their performance better than the ETFs, which is usually not the case here.

Additionally, at initial glance, I notice that the trade dates for ETFs are different, as if their EOD closing prices are not heavily correlated to the mutual funds.  I don't see how that's possible, but it seems as if the optimization isn't even close for the ETFs.  However, when I re-optimize for the ETF, I still get subpar results.

My current thinking is that the +DI/-DI, Stochastics and EMA/SMA crossover-based systems I optimized for mutual funds do not work well for investments with Open-Hi-Lo-Close EOD data.  Is that possible?  I see "H" and "L" in the stochastic formula, but in none of the others.

When a system looks at EOD data and determines if a signal was generated via a crossover of an indicator, again while using EOD data and not intraday data, does the EMA crossover look at the day's high and lows to see if a trigger happenned or does it just look at the closing price?  I'm assuming the latter.  If not, then I need to change the coding.  But how can I change for stochastics?

Long-winded, but I am desperate. - Thanks.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/

    amibroker-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    amibroker-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx