[amibroker] Re: Walk Forward IS/OOS Period Optimization?

  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:39:05 -0000
  • From: "progster01" <progster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: Walk Forward IS/OOS Period Optimization?

Many traders today are endeavoring to construct a trading methodology from stone knives and bearskins.

In the future, any implementation of walk-forward analysis (WFA) which cannot change from IS to OOS and back based on TA signals, as well as conduct retrospective analysis based on arbitrarily defined historical date ranges will be considered crude, archaic, and dangerous.

The market changes behavior (mode) when it pleases.  Technical analysis (TA) is our means of measuring such change (sometimes paired with a well-developed intuition).  WFA which cannot respond to TA is WFA with a passing relationship to reality at best.

I include here under the umbrella of TA the analysis of current system performance, which itself can work off of many metrics, including specified or optimizable # of trades.

In other words, static WFA will give way to dynamic WFA (and almost certainly already has).

When this is productized for the retail trader is another question entirely.

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/

    amibroker-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    amibroker-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx