Re: [amibroker] New Novice on Amibroker - Converting Window on Wall Street/Metastock code

  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:15:27 -0800
  • From: "NW Trader" <pk47hargus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] New Novice on Amibroker - Converting Window on Wall Street/Metastock code

Hi Graphman,

WOW!!  -- I haven't heard of that program (WoW) for almost a decade.  I used it along with Metastock for a while in the mid to late '90's before finding AB.  I thought that it had not made the transition to the Millennium (well actually I had heard that they tried to patch it, but not very well).  I think you'll really like AB; in many ways, WoW was a kludge, but it's programming language wasn't too difficult and you'll find the transition to AB fairly easy if you just build a table of equivalents formula and terms.  I'm working from very old memories here but, for example, where WoW would use mov(C, X , e) for an exponential moving average of the close for X periods, AFL uses EMA(C,X). References to a prior period are about the same -- yesterday's close is ref(C,-1) in both.  So in your buy Long statement, AFL would use:

Buy = ( EMA( C, baf_periods) -ref( EMA( C, baf_periods) , -1) ) > baf_percent;

Of course you have to assign values to baf_periods and baf_percent.  This can be done hard coded in the AFL code, or you can make them easily changeable with a Param() statement. Or in the case of the percent, you could have it dependant on some other calculation.  I do not know or recall the Barns Adaptive Forecast formula, but you should define these before the buy and sell statement.

I think you will enjoy AB as you get into it.  Don't get frantic or frustrated, read thru the AFL functions in the User's Guide (Help -> Help contents -> AFL icon at the top).  Initially focus on the functions most commonly used like chart displays plotting candles, bars, volume, moving averages and other indicators, before trying to master writing complicated chart displays, explorations or backtesting. AB has a tremendous amount of power, but if you start simple and build a solid foundation of understanding it is not difficult.  IMHO, it is the folks that want to start using AB by writing and backtesting complicated trading systems from the outset that feel overwhelmed. My prescription is to first learn how to write indicators on a chart (including displaying a condition for a system), then learn how to write an exploration for a condition, then learn how to optimize the parameters for the system and finally learn how to backtest the system, send alerts to your email or phone, autotrade with a broker, etc.

And don't be bashful asking for help here.  There are many folks who will help someone who tries to solve their problem and hits a roadblock, posts the code that is giving them a problem or error, or can articulate what it is that they want to accomplish.  Vague questions like "how do I code for strong stocks to buy" or "how do I write a system to find stocks like the attached chart shows" are usually impossible to answer, and I personally ignore them.

Welcome and enjoy!

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick