Re: [amibroker] Re: Seasonality Plot

  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:50:19 -0800 (PST)
  • From: Rick Osborn <ricko@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Seasonality Plot

Thanks Mike.
Really appreciate this work

Best Regards
Rick Osborn

From: Mike <sfclimbers@xxxxxxxxx>
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, December 29, 2009 2:05:49 AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: Seasonality Plot

In the interest of completeness, here's an updated version that corrects a bug in the calculation of "initialValue" , discovered during a paralell thread: http://finance. groups.yahoo. com/group/ amibroker/ message/145407 and adds a little better documentation in the form of the chart title.

baseColor = colorDarkRed;
boundaryColor =
colorLightGrey
;

years =
Param( "Years", 3, 1, 15, 1
);
newYear =
Year() != Ref( Year(), -1
);
avgROC =
0
;

// Create dynamic variables for each year (excluding current)

for ( y = 1
; y <= years; y++ )
{
    initialValue =
ValueWhen( newYear, Close, y + 1
);
    barValue =
Ref( Close, -252
* y );
    runningROC = ( ( barValue / initialValue ) -
1 ) * 100
;

VarSet( "Year"
+ y, runningROC );
    avgROC += runningROC;
}

avgROC /= years;

// Plot zero line

Plot( 0, "", boundaryColor, styleLine | StyleThick | StyleNoLabel
);

// Plot vertical lines for new year markers

Plot( newYear, "", boundaryColor, styleHistogram | styleThick | styleOwnScale | styleNoLabel
);

// Plot current year with thick emphasis

initialValue =
ValueWhen( newYear, Close, 1
);
barValue =
Close
;
runningROC = ( ( barValue / initialValue ) -
1 ) * 100
;
Plot( runningROC, "ROC", baseColor, styleThick
);

// Plot previous years with incrementing colors

titleStr =
StrFormat( ", Bar %g, Current: %g, Initial: %g", BarIndex
(), barValue, initialValue );
titleStr +=
StrFormat( "\n" + EncodeColor( baseColor ) + "This year: %2.1f%%"
, runningROC );

for ( y = 1
; y <= years; y++ )
{
    value =
VarGet( "Year"
+ y );
    titleStr +=
StrFormat( "\n" + EncodeColor( baseColor + y ) + y + " year" + WriteIf( y > 1, "s", "" ) + " ago: %2.1f%%"
, value );

Plot( value, "" + y + " years ago"
, baseColor + y );
}

// Plot average as solid area

Plot( avgROC, "Avg.", baseColor + y, styleArea | styleNoLabel
);

Title = NumToStr( DateTime(), formatDateTime ) + titleStr + StrFormat( "\n" + EncodeColor( baseColor + y ) + "Average: %2.1f%%", avgROC );

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com, "Mike" <sfclimbers@x ..> wrote:

> [...]
> for (y = 1; y <= years; y++) {
> Plot(VarGet( "Year" + y), "" + y + " Years Ago", colorDarkRed + y);
> }
>
> // Plot average as solid area
> Plot(avgROC, "Avg.", colorDarkRed + y, styleArea);
>
> Mike
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com, "Mike" sfclimbers@ wrote:
> >
> > Richard, I suspect that ROC(C, 1) would not reveal much. It might be
> > more interesting to plot a running ROC since the start of the
> respective
> > years. I've altered the code to show running year to date rate of
> > return, including vertical bars delineating the first bar of each new
> > year. You will notice that at each year goal post, all values start
> over
> > at zero (plus or minus a bar or two due to 252 being an imprecise
> > measure of a year).
> > Hope that helps.
> > years = Param("Years" , 3, 1, 15, 1); newYear = Year() != Ref(Year(),
> > -1); avgROC = 0;
> > // Create dynamic variables for each year (excluding current) for (y =
> > 1; y <= years; y++) { initialValue = IIf(newYear, ValueWhen(newYear,
> > Close, y), ValueWhen(newYear, Close, y + 1)); barValue = Ref(Close,
> > -252 * y); runningROC = (barValue / initialValue) - 1;
> > VarSet("Year" + y, runningROC);
> > avgROC += runningROC; }
> > avgROC /= years;
> > // Plot zero line Plot(0, "", colorLightGrey, styleLine | StyleThick |
> > StyleNoLabel) ;
> > // Plot vertical lines for new year markers Plot(newYear, "",
> > colorLightGrey, styleHistogram | styleThick | styleOwnScale |
> > styleNoLabel) ;
> > // Plot current year with thick emphasis initialValue = Iif(newYear,
> > ValueWhen(newYear, Close, 0), ValueWhen(newYear, Close, 1)); barValue
> =
> > Close; runningROC = (barValue / initialValue) - 1; Plot(runningROC,
> > "ROC", colorDarkRed, styleThick);
> > // Plot previous years with incrementing colors for (y = 1; y <=
> years;
> > y++) { Plot(VarGet( "Year" + y), "" + y + " Years Ago", colorDarkRed
> > + y); }
> > // Plot average as solid area Plot(avgROC, "Avg.", colorDarkRed + y,
> > styleArea);
> > Mike --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com, "Richard" richpach2@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Mike,
> > >
> > > This is very clever piece of code. Thank you for sharing it with us.
> > > I would have used "for" loop to create a new "close" array for each
> > year with 1-252 index. I didn't know you can use build-in "Close"
> array
> > in that way. Now that we can see the result for each year, it looks to
> > me like we need to "normalize" the results so they can be compared on
> > relative basis. Calculating an average from absolute values does not
> > look right. Do you think that using ROC(C,1) would be an effective way
> > to compare all individual year's results?

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/