Re: [amibroker] Learning to code ...

  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:55:02 -0500
  • From: Keith McCombs <kmccombs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Learning to code ...

Cascade --
Take heed of Herman's suggestions.  They are very good, as is Gordon's suggestion regarding
Howard Bandy's book "Introduction to AmiBroker".

AFL "looks like" 'C'.  And the two languages have many characteristics in common.  However, there are many differences as well.  I came to AFL with significant 'C' programming experience.  Overall, I would say that experience made my learning of AFL even more difficult, because I made some very wrong assumptions about AFL in the beginning.

If you have not yet purchased a book on 'C', don't.  If you have, don't read it.  'C' is a wonderful programming language (the very best in my opinion).  However, it is NOT AFL.  And, at this point in time, it would only make your learning of AFL more difficult.
-- Keith

Herman wrote:

Did you try the AmiBroker main menu: Analysis -> AFL Code Wizard?. That
should give you the basic idea.

Next download progressively more complex programs from the library and
run/analyze them. This would expose you to a broad range of programming
styles, more than you would find in any single book. Howard Bundy also
wrote some excellent books that could help you.

Then there are many sites with examples, AmiBroker site, the Knowledge
Base, the user Knowledge Base, AB university, many Yahoo lists, etc.

If you have specific problems post on this list.

good luck,
herman

cascade3891 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just want to get some advice on where to go to learn how to pick up coding quickly and thoroughly. Obviously I want to be proficient in AFL. But from my research AFL is based on C, so would C text books be a good grounding?
>
> Anyways, other than reading up about AFL on the website and help guide, are there any other ways to learn this stuff proficiently? I mean there this program called PowerScan and it's an add on to AB, would that help??
>
> Thanks and kind regards,

> **** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

> SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com

> http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/