[amibroker] Seasons Greetings, and what may be next...

  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:51:32 -0500
  • From: Herman <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Seasons Greetings, and what may be next...

This is to say THANK YOU to all those wonderful people, including our
great support channel, who have replied to many of my questions during
the year! Your patience and helping hand has saved my countless hours of
work. It allowed me to do some afl programming I could not have managed
without you.

AmiBroker has come a long way and as it evolves we are provided with new
trading opportunities in system innovations with each new release.

 From what I see trades are getting shorter. Real-time market scanning,
portfolio trading, and auto-trading (or as close as one can get to that)
is almost a necessity. We can do all that now with AmiBroker however I
hope that data providers and AmiBroker will soon start to offer more
specialized/innovative tools in this area.

For example, when Scanning 1500 tickers to select the daily tickers to
trade, we don't require real-time, quote by quote, backfilled data
histories. It would be quite acceptable to scan/explore only the last
n-quotes in a longer time-frame, say 3, 10, or 15 minutes. I know this
can be done now however the process requires a basic-timeframe backfill,
this is terribly slow. Being able to Scan (sample) in larger
time-frames, without the need to backfill the basic time-frame, would
reduce bandwidth and execution time. I recognize this is not just an AB
issue, data providers must also get involved - it would save them lots
of bandwidth.

Another area where we may see improvements is multi-database
environments.  Almost all of us use separate development and trading
DBs. Many of us need to access EOD as well as Real-time data when
trading. Many of us would like to access more than one DB without a
reload. Multi-DB setups is impossible because many features are
DB-specific. Take for example Watchlists, each time we create a new
trading DB we have to manually create many Watchlists. Watchlists (lists
in general) have far greater use than just for the traditional
categories; they are very convenient as Status-bins. For example, when
trading large portfolios it can get quite messy to maintain persistent
ticker and order status from day to day. Often it is easier to
categorize Ticker/Order status and create a Watchlist for each status
condition - after all we can create an unlimited number of WLs.
Membership to one of those Watchlists tells you order and ticker status,
and does so in persistent form! A new function that would help here is
an IsInWatchlist() that can be used in an indicator. Another nice
function to have is a new category (and related functions) that enable
you to work with lists (files) that are accessible from any DB, i.e.,
that are non DB-Specific, and that can be Backtested, Scanned or
Explored directly from the AA.

I wish you good health and enjoyable trading for the coming year,

Herman

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/

    amibroker-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx