[amibroker] Re: AmibrokerU Update

  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 19:28:20 -0000
  • From: "Bruce" <brucer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: AmibrokerU Update

Sure, I'll give a (hopefully) useful example.  And, I'll try to do more
of this, where possible, in the future.  In order to facilitate this,
though, it is best to use a Chart Template, Complete file and record a
generic procedure for how to use it.  Rather than introduce that now,
I'll walk you through a manual install.

So, download the ListAvg.afl file to your include directory.  If you
have done a stock install, it will be at C:\Program
Files\Amibroker\Formulas\Include.  You can verify this by selecting the
Tools / Preferences menu and then the AFL tab.  The standard include
path will be the first Pick button.

Now, take the following code and either save it in your Custom formulas
directory, or enter it into the code editor.  The editor can be launched
from the Analysis / Formula Editor menu.

Once it is copied into the editor, you can use the Tools / Insert Chart
menu to get a chart.

This indicator uses parameters to select a watchlist to perform the
ListAvg on.  Right click on the chart and select parameters. You will
need to enter a watchlist number. When ready, click the Calculate
parameter button to perform the calculation.  Since this can be lengthy,
it is only done on user action.  But, it is written to an AddtoComposite
ticker ("~ListAvg" + number)  for each watchlist, and simply read
thereafter.

#include <ListAvg.afl>
wlnum        = Param( "Watchlist", 13, 1, 100, 1 );
trig        = ParamTrigger( "Calculate", "CLICK" );
Lavg        = Nz( Foreign( "~ListAvg" + wlnum , "C" ) );
if ( trig )
{
     Lavg        = ListAvg( CategoryGetSymbols( categoryWatchlist, wlnum
) );
     AddToComposite( Lavg, "~ListAvg" + wlnum, "X",
         atcFlagDefaults + atcFlagEnableInIndicator );
}
Plot( Lavg, "Watchlist " + wlnum + " ListAvg", colorDefault );

Lastly, since you mentioned sector averages - I'll mention one example
use from my experience.  Technology averages do not typically indicate
the health of innovative small-cap tech stocks.  The averages are driven
by Intel, Microsoft, etc.  An average of targeted, innovative small-cap
tech companies in a watchlist can be more useful for stock investing.

Hope that helps.
-- Bruce

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, furinkazaan <furinkazaan@xxx> wrote:

> Bruce, thanks for the afl. It comes at the most oppurtune time when
I'm
> considering creation of many sectoral indices. However, rookie that I
am, I
> am not able to figure out how to use the AFL. I would appreciate a
> step-by-step detail on how to use it, including where to copy the afl,
where
> to store the csv list of tickers etc., and how to run it. Can the afl
be
> pointed to a watchlist instead of a csv file of tickers?
>
> Thanks again.
>

> 2009/11/18 Bruce brucer@xxx
>

> > Quick update - I've added a Free Code module and Free Code article
> > AmibrokerU called ListAvg. For those who need for an equal weighted
> > average of a list of tickers, the Code module provides a function
that
> > implements the result in a single call. If you are interested in the
> > background on the need for this function, and the problem with other
> > types of index and list averages, the article should be of interest.
> > Here are the links (sorry they are long, I'll fix that soon) -

http://www.amibrokeru.com/FreeLibrary/FreeCode/tabid/99/articleType/Arti\
\

cleView/articleId/109/ListAvg-ndash-A-Function-to-Calculate-an-Equal-Wei\
\

ghted-Average-of-a-List-of-Tickers.aspx<http://www.amibrokeru.com/FreeLi\

http://www.amibrokeru.com/FreeLibrary/FreeArticles/tabid/63/articleType/\
\