[amibroker] Re: please read this formula and tell what it is?

  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 06:04:53 -0000
  • From: "Mike" <sfclimbers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: please read this formula and tell what it is?

Ted,

I'm not familiar with the authors you have referenced. But, in my experience, a student either "gets it" or they don't. For most, no text will ever be enough, in the absence of hands-on tutoring. I'm not being judgemental. It's just an aptitude that not everyone shares.

AmiBroker supports full object oriented usage, without offering native facilities for declaring your own classes. Specifically; The OLE support allows usage of any object, created and exposed in another language, that you care to produce. Similarly, you can define, within the AFL, JScript or VBScript functions that are then accessed via AmiBroker's native Scripting object. And, as you discovered, AmiBroker exposes its backtester object for use from within AFL.

As for the walk forward question, where you desire to optimize the in sample and out of sample periods, AmiBroker does not support that. My request for exactly that behavior was rejected due to the dangers of curve fitting, since your out of sample data becomes less and less out of sample as you continually alter period lengths.

While the argument is completely valid, I consider it no more dangerous than regular optimization. There's nothing stopping us from using up all the degrees of freedom in regular optimization. So, why draw the line at IS/OOS period lengths?

Amusingly, in the rejection of the request, reference was made to Howard's first book as supporting argument. Though in person, Howard himself has often advocated optimizing IS/OOS lengths :)

To "optimize" IS/OOS period lengths, you can write an external script (e.g. JScript, VB Script) to drive AmiBroker via OLE, else just do it by hand. Just don't overdo it, or you truely will have spoiled your OOS data, rendering all results useless.

Mike

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/

    amibroker-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx