Re: [amibroker] Re: Lets ask T J for AFL EDITOR encryption in the next beta

  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:09:28 -0500
  • From: Dennis Brown <see3d@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: Lets ask T J for AFL EDITOR encryption in the next beta

I agree with Mike.

There are things I will not share for free, because it takes to much time to support -- especially if someone modifies my AFL and then has a problem because they did not realize some side effect of their change.  I would be more tempted to share some things if I could protect some parts of the AFL so that it was a black box function, just like a DLL would be.  It is not even a matter of getting paid for it.

I would of course prefer to see it be something simple, like an encrypted include file with a key used to un-encrypt each copy on the fly at run time.

I am sure some would be tempted to offer a paid product if it could be protected for both support reasons, and to keep it from being ripped off and translated to other platforms.

I do offer things for free that are mutually beneficial to myself and the community, as time permits.

When someone offers a product for sale, they put a lot more effort into it to make it a useful and documented product that does what it says it will do.  The real cost of a paid product is the documentation and support issues.  If someone in the community offers something for sale that is not supported or worth the price, then it will only take a day for the community to advise against using it.  The programmer will never recover their costs if they do not offer something of value.

However, we have to be patient with what we ask TJ to offer and when.  He is only one person with many things on the priority list.  I have a number of things that I would like to see in the next beta, and most have to do with solving my own problems with making AFL programs that will improve my trading (the main purpose of AmiBroker).  I would like to see more low level AFL infrastructure enhancements to make it easier to make more customized trading "platforms".

Best regards,
Dennis

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/