[amibroker] Re: HOW TO CREATE CSV FILE WITHIN AFL OF EXPLORATION

  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:51:39 -0000
  • From: "Mike" <sfclimbers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: HOW TO CREATE CSV FILE WITHIN AFL OF EXPLORATION

Herman's code would work just as well for an exploration as for any other purpose. If you cared to, you could remove the file opening closing from my earlier example and simply call his function from the loop provided.

e.g.

   for (i = firstBar; i <= lastBar; i++) {

if (Filter
[i]) {

// Make sure output matches same order as AddColumn statements.

         AddLineToFile(myCSVFile, symbol +
"," + DateTimeToStr(dates[i]) + "," + Close[i] + "\n"
);
      }
   }

However, that would be inefficient for any exploration that spanned more than a single bar since it would mean repeated opening and closing of the file for each bar per symbol, as opposed to just once per symbol.

Similarly, the error handling is different. In the example I posted, if the file failed to open nothing was written. Using Herman's code, a second attempt would be made, overwriting any existing data. It's up to your intended usage to determine which would be more appropriate.

If opting to use Herman's function, I would suggest adding a 3rd argument for the mode in which the file is to be opened such that any existing contents can be overwritten when first writing the header (i.e. using "w" instead of "a").

e.g.

if (Status("stocknum") == 0) {

// Make sure header matches same order as AddColumn statements.

   AddLineToFile(myCSVFile,
"Ticker,Date/Time,Close\n", "w"
);
}

Mike

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bistrader" <bistrader@xxx> wrote:

> Herman's code allows one to write a txt message. Correct? I can not use it to write the columns of an exploration such as PositionScore and the like, can I?
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark Hike markhike@ wrote:
> >
> > *There's more than one way to skin a cat ;-)
> > I generally use JScript along with AFL to export the scan/exploration
> > results because I am familiar with both. (In addition I also use AutoIt3
> > script to automate the JScript :-))
> > But I like Herman's solution, simple and elegant.
> >
> > - Mark
> >
> > *
> > On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Herman psytek@ wrote:
> >

> > > I don't know what your problem is. Did you try using the AddLineToFile()
> > > function I posted, it is about as simple as it can get. I create files from
> > > explorations all the time. It is much simpler than exporting, importing,
> > > file parsing, using jscript, using OLE, etc. You can save directly to an afl
> > > file that is used in other code as an include file. One step, without any
> > > user involvement, to do everything. Give a simple explanation and tell us
> > > the minimum you need to know to get under way. I think you are making it
> > > more complex than it is.
> > >
> > > best regards,
> > > herman
> > >
> > > bistrader wrote:
> > >
> > > Mike,
> > >
> > > I know how to do manually: do an Exploration and then follow with Export. Yet, I want to control within afl. I want afl to put or create the exploration in csv file. I did read Barry Scarborough's Export EOD doc and afl. This is different. I saw Mike's comments about OLE and yours about OLE/js. Have written some very simple js to control running afls. Actually, I got an example from a friend of mine and simply cut and paste it to do what I need. So, I have "some" knowledge about js. Enough to read and understand it. In any case, if you or someone has a simple example than this would be great. I have also ready Harry's comments and tried using fopen and the like. Not giving up. Will keep at it, but if someone has example of exporting exploration then maybe I will get an "ahh, that is what I am doing wrong" moment. Thanks.
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <sfclimbers@> <sfclimbers@> wrote:
> > >

> > > Bert,
> > >
> > > Are you still looking for an answer to this? If all you want to do is to save your exploration results as a .csv file, then do as was suggested in an earlier reply:
> > >
> > > Click on drop arrow of AA Window "File" button, select "Export...", choose the location on disk that you want to save to.
> > >
> > > The above will give you a .csv file of your results. If you want to automate the process, then do as one of the other replies suggested; use OLE to drive and export the exploration (e.g. from JScript).
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bistrader" <bistrader@> wrote:

> [...]

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/