[amibroker] Re: Metastock Plugin in Amibroker

  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:29:43 -0000
  • From: "tuzo_wilson" <j.tuzo.wilson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: Metastock Plugin in Amibroker

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Vacation1999" <elindydotcom@xxx> wrote:

>> Do you have your Metastock files organized into folders by exchange?
>
> Yes, I do actually.  And, the 1-2 digit exchange is tagged on the

I have all of the exchanges in one AmiBroker database with each exchange as a market.  Basically, I add folders to the database one exchange at a time and organize the symbols into the appropriate market.

I don't have AmiBroker in front of me right now so this may be off a bit:

- Create a new Database that uses the Metastock plugin.
- Add a folder (or folders if the symbols for the exchange are in multiple folders) for the exchange you want to bring in to AmiBroker (let's say NYSE).
- Click Retrieve Symbols.
- Click OK to exit and your symbols should appear under Market 1.
- Rename Market 1 to New Symbols.
- Next rename Market 2 to the exchange that you just added (e.g. NYSE).
- Go to Organize Assignments and move all of the symbols from Market 1 (New Symbols) to Market 2 (NYSE market)

Repeat this one by one for every market moving all Symbols from New Symbols to the appropriate Market.

It looks like a lot or work typed out but should just take a few minutes (once you get the hang of it).

I'm assuming that you are using "The Downloader" program from Reuters/equis.  If you are, you should enable case sensitive symbol names in both the Downloader and AmiBroker.  This is because the symbols in The Downloader drop the dot "." characters from symbol names (yahoo usually substitutes a dash "-" instead of dropping the dot for example).

This can cause a clash with an existing symbol.  e.g. on the TSX Mega Uranium is symbol MGA and Magna International is MG.a.  That translates into Mega Uranium being MGA.TO and Magna International being MGa.TO.

I hope that helps.

Tuzo

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/