From: Herman
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:07 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [amibroker] Re: Run time debugging for includes

Tomasz,

to simplify things for everyone. Would it be possible to provide a tools->customize menu for the editor? just like we have in the main AB window?

If that would be possible then we could write our own Editor plug-ins for PrettyFy, includes, load functions, etc.) and everybody would be happy :-)

BUT, if you could PLEASE, if at all possible allow the tool menu to call afl functions so that we can write all our own Editor plug-ins in afl. i.e., make the feature useful for all AB users, not just profession programmers.

Best regards,

herman

> Hello,

> One little explanation why implementing the suggestion would make AFL much slower.

> If "one function per one file" paradigm was used, it would mean

> extra 48+13 = 61 microsonds overhead for EACH function because

> that is the overhead of file open and file close operation. File access is not "cheap" operation.

> That is order of magnitude (10x) higher than overhead of existing

> user-defined function call (which takes less than 6 microseconds).

> Of course that difference applies on one use of given funciton in

> one AFL file, and fopen/fclose overhead would play less role

> with 100 calls of the same function, but many functions

> are actually called once or twice per AFL so the overhead

> of proposed solution is completely prohibitive.

> Best regards,

> Tomasz Janeczko

> amibroker.com

>>> Includes).

>>> IMO improving AFL to support procedure/function calls to external files would be a big plus to enabling better modular program

>>> design. Specifically:-

>>> a =xyx(p1,p2)  would call the external proc/func "xyz" (unless xyz is defined in current source file).

>>> The benefits as I see them:-

>>> 1. #Inlcudes are no longer required for procs/fucntions.Compiler would pull them from library specified via preferences. No more

>>> searching for which Include file is that function in, which version of that was I using .. etc.

>>> 2. External functions matched by filename. i.e one function name = one filename, no ambiguity, easily portable.

>>> 3. External files are closed boxes - can only receive/pass data via parameters, return value or global variables. Everything else

>>> inside file is local. No interference bewteen files.

>>> 4. Faster code development/maint. For example if we have the facility in Preferences to define multiple paths to external

>>> proc/func library it becomes easy to test out changes without having to resort to all the usual suffixing fillenames, changing

>>> calls etc. i.e.

>>>            path1=AB_Function_Library_Test

>>>            path2=AB_Function_LIbrary_Live

>>> So to test out a mod just copy the function file to the Test library, make the changes and test. Compiler searches paths in order

>>> specified so anything with matching name in Test takes precedence over same name in Live.

>>> 5. Easier debugging? ;-)

>>> John

>>> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Run time debugging for includes