[amibroker] Re: Broker and bank reliability: leave trading?

Hello Carl,

Re your cousins account:

Was the broker US based or where?

It varies from country to country.

Re US insurance:

It varies between brokers.

FDIC or SIPC or both?

I got millions of hits with a google search "broker account
insurance".

What to do?

Personal choice.

What did I do? (prior 6-12 mths)

Moved out of a broker with my account in smaller Aussie account (not
first in line for Aussie bailout).... and pulled back from offshore
(Island state account with cash in major Euro banks).

Kept away from IB for a while.

This was negative for my offshore trading (Aussie market is no good
for me) so ....

I moved to spread better IG Markets ... not as risky as it sounds ...
I like the products .... my account is 'in trust' in a local major
Aussie bank when not on margin call/use.

It some ways margin is good 'insurance' because I am only at risk
when I am in cash ... when I am in a trade I 'own' the stock and only
have the margin% in their hands.

IG Markets are in some places in Europe.

They are listed on the UK exchange ... same business risk as IB or
ETrade.

Also, pure brokers shouldn't be going broke ... vols are at record
levels ... commercial banks/brokers are the ones who went broke.

I think it is OK to go back to the US but I am waiting a bit longer.

Consider:

- diversify your brokers
- trade with a local broker (adjust your game to their instruments?)

and I don't have 'life and death' assets on the line in trading.

brian_z111

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Carl Vanhaes" <carl.van@xxx> wrote:

> I know this might be judged as off topic, but I also know this is a
> general concern across all active traders nowadays: I am based in
> Europe and have a brokerage account at IB. I have no concern about
IB

**** IMPORTANT ****