Re: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

 And of course Lane didn't come up with Stochastics.  It was the man Lane was working for and Lane later bought him out.
Lane I believe though was the one who smoothed the stochastics.

----- Original Message -----
From: MAVIRK
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

Can one use Stoch's with Mr. Lanes' Sefault Setting?

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 6:48 AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

No, that is not correct. If someone publishes a formula and you
optimize it and come up with different periods or apply it in a
different way that is your work.

Let me use an example to show the subtlety of this. Every car has an
engine and transmission. Every different variation has a different
patent. There may be only a small variation but you would not have to
pry royalties on the new variation. You can do two things, publish it
or patent it. Once you do either then the work you did is in the
public domain and no one else can patent your work.

Barry

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, Michel Guibert <michelg14@x..>
wrote:

> If I follow all the copyright , I can't do anything , everybody has
done everything before me.
> Many formulas were published in many books or review and you think
there is copyright on them ???
> Personnaly when they are published in a review I consider them in
the public domain.

> MG
>

> To: amibroker@xx.: ohneclue@xxx: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:05:28 -
0800Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

> Whenever you write something, you own the copyright to it such --
even these posts are the IP of the individual poster and they own the
copyright to the contents. Yahoo does not own it, the group owner
does not own it and in the Yahoo TOS, this is so stated.

> In another group that suffers from overt estrogen overloaded, 1
person wrote a guide, lifted whole posts of other members and put
them in her guide (without credit or permission) that she sold and
was called on it. The person who was charging for the information
had to refund money and revise her guide to be strictly and
exclusively her own words. That is an example of copyright violation.

> I use and quote George C Lane and his application of the stochastic
formula all the time and it is NOT a violation of copyright because
the settings are mine that I have played around with, I give credit
where I have learned something from someone else such as David
Elliott about stochastics settings, etc., and don't lift entire
paragraphs or words in the same series as their works. These are not
copyright violations. These come under the fair and free use concept.

> If I am discussing something from a trading book or manual that is
copyrighted and put it into my own words even though it is not my
original idea, that is not a violation of copyright.

> If I write a book or prepare a PP presentation and pass the work
off as my own when it is based on someone else's work and the charts
are THEIRS I lifted entirely, word for word or exactly the same
indicator settings, other than my own stochastic settings I've
developed, and sell it, that is a violation of copyright.

> The two elements are: passing stuff off as your own when you
copied it from someone else and selling it as your own idea.

> Judith
>

> From: Barry Scarborough <razzbarry@x..>To: amibroker@xx.: Friday,
December 19, 2008 10:32:28 PMSubject: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

> No. It appears there is a lot of confusion on copyright laws. A
good discussion is at http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Copyrights. OF
course this isn't official but it is an easier read than the law
books. People like Wilder published his works so others could benefit
from his discoveries. What the copyright laws do is prevent someone
from copying his work and selling it. But the intellectual property
he disclosed is for our use. Why else would he publish it?Barry--- In
amibroker@xxxxxxxxx ps.com, "binjobingo" <binjobingo@ ...> wrote:>>
Does referring to Wilder's Relative strength Indicator,or Lane's>
Stochastics, or Chande's Vidya & so on lead to copyright violation?>
> Say one reads An Author's book & am not able to write AFL for the>
Indicators & so ask the forum members to write it for me Is it>
copyright violation?> > If one give a link to the Website say some
other website which> explains the parameters & use of the
said "indicator" but the website> may not be owned by the Author
himself does it lead to copyright> violation ?> > If it is so I think
all the forums would close down & nobody would> discuss their trading
strategy since trading strategies use some> Indicator by some author.>

> Drag n' drop?Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live? Photos.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/photos.aspx

**** IMPORTANT ****