[amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

Bill,

Do you have a link to that article ... finding it difficult to pick
up quickly via Google?

I am interested to see what the definition of  'process' is and if it
applies 'across the board'.

>From an article at

http://healthcenter.bna.com/pic2/hc.nsf/id/BNAP-75AL6F?OpenDocument

F. Scott Kieff, associate professor of law at Washington University,
St. Louis, and a fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institute, as
recently as July 2007, noted "the absence of patents for software"
and the differential applications that exist between fields.

We can see, from that article, the difficult choices facing
regulators regarding the conflicting rights of inventors and their
desire to get paid against the potential 'stifling of innovation' and
community disservice inherent in the patenting process.

Lawmakers and decision makers are 'tied up' with the ethical, legal,
and economical issues associated with these matters i.e. on
significant issues like Human Genome science.

I doubt if the patenting issues surrounding 'trading systems' will
grab the attention of national insitutions.

Also every commercial trading site, or book, that I have ever seen
carries a disclaimer that the information contained therein is for
educational purposes only and does not constitute financial advice.

Difficult to see how educational information can constitute a
patentable process?

>From my perspective I find it hard to imagine how anyone could claim
to have an original trading idea .... every possible one seems to
be 'out there' already.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <timesarrow@xxx>
wrote:

> Unfortunately, things are not so black and white.  The Supreme
Court and a recent Appeals Court decision ruled that if the
mathematics are an integral part of a process then they are
patentable as part of the process.  In other words, using the
article's wording, the mathematics are not "abstract" or "works of
nature" if they are part of a process.  In the AmiBroker world, this
raises the question as to whether or not a trading system is a
process.  Very murky waters that keeps patent attorneys employed and
undoubtedly will produce more work for the Supreme Court in the
future.  Bottom line, as noted before, follow the Fair Use doctrine
to the letter and err on the conservative side.

> Bill

in its original form and only that.
>   > It does not protect mathematical (or any other) ideas
themselves.
>   > Ideas per se can only be protected by patents if patent is
granted and only in limited territories and fixed amount of time.
>   > This article explains the difference:
>   > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idea-expression_divide
>   >
>   > Best regards,
>   > Tomasz Janeczko
>   > amibroker.com
Lane's
>   >> Stochastics,or Chande's Vidya & so on lead to copyright
violation?
>   >>
>   >> Say one reads An Author's book & am not able to write AFL for
the
>   >> Indicators & so ask the forum members to write it for me Is it
>   >> copyright violation?
>   >>
>   >> If one give a link to the Website say some other website which
>   >> explains the parameters & use of the said "indicator" but the
website
>   >> may not be owned by the Author himself does it lead to
copyright
>   >> violation ?
>   >>
>   >> If it is so I think all the forums would close down & nobody
would
>   >> discuss their trading strategy since trading strategies use
some
>   >> Indicator by some author.
>   >>
>   >>
>   >> ------------------------------------
>   >>
>   >> **** IMPORTANT ****
>   >> This group is for the discussion between users only.
>   >> This is *NOT* technical support channel.
>   >>
>   >> *********************
>   >> TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
directly to
>   >> SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>   >> *********************
>   >>
>   >> For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:
>   >> http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/
>   >>
>   >> For other support material please check also:
>   >> http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>   >>
>   >> *********************************
>   >> Yahoo! Groups Links
>   >>
>   >>
>   >>
>   >
>   > ------------------------------------
>   >
>   > **** IMPORTANT ****
>   > This group is for the discussion between users only.
>   > This is *NOT* technical support channel.
>   >
>   > *********************
>   > TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
directly to
>   > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>   > *********************
>   >
>   > For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:
>   > http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/
>   >
>   > For other support material please check also:
>   > http://www.amibroker.com/support.html
>   >
>   > *********************************
>   > Yahoo! Groups Links
>   >
>   >
>   >

>   ------------------------------------
>
>   **** IMPORTANT ****
>   This group is for the discussion between users only.
>   This is *NOT* technical support channel.
>
>   *********************
>   TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
directly to
>   SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>
>   For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check DEVLOG:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/
>
>   For other support material please check also:
>   http://www.amibroker.com/support.html

12/19/2008 10:09 AM

**** IMPORTANT ****