[amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

The original discussion on copyrighting evolved from a post by brucer
in another thread.

Apologies to bruce if my answer drew attention away from his
discussion (sometimes I can be frivolous in my comments and I
intended no offence).

To set the record straight.

bruce originally said:

>I think that the larger question is protection of AFL's.

>There are two reasons for
>protecting the source - one obvious and one not so obvious -

>1. To charge for the code and for the intellectual property. The
>market will decide if the price is reasonable or not.

>2. To protect the source. Many times others will mod the source and
>then tie up author's time with questions about how the original
>software worked OR why the modified software doesn't work.

I assumed you were referring to 'copyrighting AFL' but that might not
necessarily be what you were interested in.

You went on to say:

>Certainly code can be placed in a DLL to hide it. It
>is also fairly easy to protect it. It is just a pain and a
>productivity hit to convert AFL to a DLL just to protect it.

>Protection tends to fall into two categories -

>1. Wrappers for EXE's and DLL's that implement keyed protection for
>existing binaries and require no changes. The protection may or may
>not be machine unique. For example, ASPROTECT

>2. Embedded protection calls that require changes to the app. Several
>libraries available - some open such as ACTIVELOCK

>Anyway, I'd be interested in others thoughts on this issue.

Progster commented on the same subject:

 --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx>
wrote:

> Thanks Tomasz,
>
> That adds further clarification to the good opinion already posted
by
> Progster, Barry and Dennis (in another thread).
>
> The points made in 'your' links tend to support my hunch that:
>
> - a book can be copyrighted but not the code that it contains
> - people are free to restate any trading idea, using AFL, since AFL
> is a unique language and hence any expression of a trading idea
would
> automatically be unique (especially if the idea has been translated
> into psuedocode before posting it to a forum for coding into AFL).
>
> The only slight concern I have is that dissension, or confusion,
may
> be created by people quoting AFL code that has been published in a
> copyrighted environment.
>
> I can't help wondering if AFL could me made an open source
language
> but that is possibly some silly romantic notion I have.
>
> My overall interest in the subject is because I feel that
copyrighted
> material, may in many cases, hold back our progress (our being
> mankind), including our economic progress ..... one of your links
> provides a very good example of the wasted resources that MS have
put
> into copyrighting www. and .com where they are used on a cell phone.
>
> Obviously open source software is an entirely knew phenomenon
suited
> for an entirely new breed of humanity.
>
> brian_z
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I may add that mathematical ideas (including algorithms) should
> never have any patents granted
> > http://www.lbl.gov/Workplace/patent/app2.html
> > and this rule is usually followed, however
> > US Patent office has unfortuntally has granted several ridiculous
> patents.
> > http://freedomforip.org/category/patent/
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tomasz Janeczko