Re: [amibroker] Re: Synergy trading system

Greetings all --

Since my name was mentioned in this thread ----

Books and articles have copyright protection as soon as they are expressed.  When I begin to write, my first draft has implicit protection.  When I have the book printed and distributed, I include the statement that I am explicitly retaining the copyright and claiming protection.  The whole book is copyrighted, even though it may contain information that is not original with me.  Among other things, the copyright prohibits some person from redistributing or reselling my book, or any portion thereof, without my permission.  (Whether for profit or not is not an issue.  Certain "fair use" is exempt.)  There is no doubt that some of the AFL code used as examples was well known before that code appeared in my book.  But there is other code that is original with me.  If the entire code from my book appears on a website for sale (as it does), that is a violation of International Copyright laws.  And I could bring a law suit and would win if I was willing to pay the price in both time and money.  The cost to me would be high, the award probably low, and the likelihood of my collecting very low.  If someone posts the simple moving average crossover example, as was done in this thread, or other examples that were well known before my book was published, I would be foolish to complain and very foolish to bring a law suit.  Rather, in cases such as this, I benefit by having my work referenced.  In fact, I have answered several questions posted to this forum by posting code included in my book in my response.  That does not relinquish my protection under the copyright laws and it does not give permission to anyone else to republish it without my permission.

The point is -- If someone claims copyright protection for their code, no one has a right to republish that material without the copyright holder's permission unless they can show that the same information existed prior to that specific copyright claim in an uncopyrighted form.  The material being protected may be worthless, but it is still protected.  If the material is protected under copyright but published on the copyright holder's web site, you may post a URL link to his or her page, but you may not copy the information and republish it without permission.

As for "should have published electronically" -- Think carefully about your business plan when you form your own publishing company.  It is much more complex than first meets the eye.

Thanks for listening,
Howard