[amibroker] Optimizing with Include and fputs shifts loop mysteriously

Hello, hoping someone can help with this issue. When I use an optimize statement with #include and fputs, the optimization variable keeps getting shifted.

For example, please consider the two basic MA crossover systems below. They should both give identical results whether one does a backtest or an optimization. The backtests do appear identical. However, the Include version gives wonky results in optimization. Instead of 'a' starting at value 1. It starts at 5 but says in the optimization report that it is 1. I know it's probably something simple that I am overlooking, but can't seem to figure this one out:

//------------------------------------------------------------------------
// TRADE SYSTEM #1:    SIMPLE CROSS BASIC
//------------------------------------------------------------------------

FastMALength =
Optimize("FastMALength",      1,     1,    5,     1);

SlowMALength =
20;

FastMA       =
MA( C, FastMALength );
SlowMA       =
MA( C, SlowMALength );
Buy          = Cross( FastMA, SlowMA  );
Sell         = Cross( SlowMA, FastMA  );

//------------------------------------------------------------------------
// TRADE SYSTEM #2:   SIMPLE CROSS USING INCLUDE AND FPUTS
//------------------------------------------------------------------------

a =
Optimize( "a", 1, 1, 5, 1 );

#pragma nocache
#include "c:\\TestAFL.afl";

fh =
fopen( "c:\\TestAFL.afl", "w");
fputs("FastMALength = ", fh);
fputs(NumToStr(a, 1.0, 0 ),fh);
fclose( fh );

SlowMALength =
20;

FastMA       =
MA( C, FastMALength );
SlowMA       =
MA( C, SlowMALength );
Buy          = Cross( FastMA, SlowMA  );
Sell         = Cross( SlowMA, FastMA  );

**** IMPORTANT ****