[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

I'm just speaking from the heart.

Haven't thought it through for implementation ... don't have any
plans to go commercial with a trading site.

The IT age is certainly throwing up some new ethical issues regarding
copyright etc.

Personally I am confirmed New Age and in sync with everything it
brings.

My teacher is still alive (over 80) and not doing well
commercially ... he spent decades stumping the planet and flogging
books/tapes etc to put his food on the table..... doesn't eat all
that well either, especially now that he is older.

He was very old world in his business practices and very nervous
about people copying his work (hence his reluctance to go into
eMedia).... I thought that limited his capacity to do what he wanted
to do.

If I started a site and 100,000 people visited, stole my ebook and
gave a copy to 5 people I would be very happy ... that is free
advertising that old model businesses have to pay for .... I am sure
I could manage to sell something to a fan base of 500,000 ... what's
more 'they' understand that and at some point 'they' will be happy to
hand over some shekels ... when they are good and ready.

I won't be locking up my intellectual property.... I want it to get
out and I want others to use and abuse it.

I don't have any fear that I won't have food on the table or a bed to
sleep in.

Fear and selfishness is the basis of introverted business methods.

brian_z111 *:-)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis Brown <see3d@xxx> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> That is not how it works.
>
> You can not copyright methods.  You can however patent methods as
long
> as you disclose them completely to the public and they are unique
and
> work.   Yea, try to keep someone from using your own publicly
> disclosed patented ideas from out trading you.  How would you even
> know.  Totally unworkable except to keep a company from including
your
> patented code in their commercial product.
>
> A copyright would keep a magazine or a person from selling or
giving
> away the code that embodies your trading ideas.  But once again,
once
> the cat is out of the bag too bad for you.  You edge is trashed.
>
> The only practical way you can share your trading methods on a
limited
> basis (for fun or profit) is to have a way to share the results
> without sharing the methods.  This is the trade secret way.
>
> You have two choices.
>
> 1. Stream the results to who you want (which does not help AB).
This

**** IMPORTANT ****