[amibroker] Re: How to import QP Hemscott structure into AB

> Yes, I think I will make use of the watchlists to cover the third
> level that AB does not support; however I think I will use the
> watchlists to hold only the nine symbols representing each of the
>nine
> sectors defined by Hemscott. This way there is less to manage in the
> watchlists.

If you are going to go that way you could also put the 9 H sectors in
the Index folder .... it might depend on how you want to use them in
AFL ... for short lists it is easy enough to manually flag them as
indexes from the information window so you could experiment witht
that one without too much trouble.

> I will map the Hemscott Industries to Sectors in AB and the Hemscott
> Groups to Industries in AB. This will take some work to set up but I
> think it will work.

Yes, it will work.... use broker.industries and broker.sectors to map
the categories to what you want.

Thereafter you will need to keep maintaining your symbol assignment
to your Industries/Groups categorization..... I think it would be
worth your while to make a suggestion to AB to provide the option to
select either sector/industry OR industry/group as the retrievable
structure (that shouldn't have a lot of techinical difficulties).

I think you will also need to turn off QP Configuration >> Select
Categories to retrieve in the AB database setup or else the plugin
will keep over-riding your new categorisation.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "trb0428" <tombrowne34@xxx> wrote:

> Yes, I think I will make use of the watchlists to cover the third
> level that AB does not support; however I think I will use the
> watchlists to hold only the nine symbols representing each of the
nine
> sectors defined by Hemscott. This way there is less to manage in the
> watchlists.
>
> Hemscott has Sector --> Industry --> Group
> AmiBroker only supports Sector --> Industry
>
> I will map the Hemscott Industries to Sectors in AB and the Hemscott
> Groups to Industries in AB. This will take some work to set up but I
> think it will work. For, the Hemscott sectors, I will hold these
nine
> symbols in Watchlists.
>
> I have included links to three screenshots that correspond to the
> Basic Materials sector. As you can see, all three levels provide
> volume data. For me, this alone is worth going to the trouble of
> restructuring my AB database. I can take care of associating the
> Sector symbol that is in my Watchlist with the correct
Industry/Group
> in my AFL formulas.
>
> http://www.webcando.com/demos/!HM1_Basic_Materials_Sector.jpg
> http://www.webcando.com/demos/!HM11_Chemicals_Industry.jpg
> http://www.webcando.com/demos/!HM111_Synthetics_Group.jpg
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Best regards,
> Tom
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@> wrote:
> >
> > > Pity I can't see what you are getting from QP.
> > > Are you getting all layers ?
> >
> > As I understand it you can see Sector --> Industry --> Sub-
Industry,
> > + vols for each, at QP but AB leaves the SubIndustry
classification
> > behind.
> >
> > IMO export to MS is not so nice ... very distracting to trading
to be
> > manually moving stuff around on a daily basis..... also QP do
some
> > work to delete old symbols,or whatever, so best to leave it to
them.

> > I would use QP plugin and just manually enter WL's to AB for the
sub-
> > Industry groupings ... you would then only need to maintain your
WL's
> > yourself.
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know that H has volumes for all levels ...
> > handy piece of info that I didn't have.
> >
> > brian_z
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@>

> > as
> > >
> > > Pity I can't see what you are getting from QP.
> > >
> > > Are you getting all layers ?

> > programming
> > >
> > > AFAIK you can read the Metastock format seamlessly, using the
MS
> > > plugin, but it doesn't recognise the structure ... you can only
> > > structure AB via the methods discussed in the help manual/UKB
i.e.
> > > manually setting categories etc.

> > come
> > >

> > > There is no nice way, that I know of, to manage mutiple sector
> > > industry layers in AB.
> > > Some of us are scratching our heads about that one.
> > >
> > > All of the classification systems use multi-layers ... S&P have
had
> > > them since 1999.
> > >
> > > The only way I can think of is to use the categories that are
there
> > > in a non-traditional way .... categorise the third level (sub-
> > > industry) of the structure by using Watchlists..... at least
there
> > > are plenty of WL's available .... the newer WL structure does
allow
> > > for a significant break at WL > no 64 .... if I went down that
path
> > > would think about putting them there and keeping the first 64
WL/s
> > > for other uses.
> > >
> > > The ODBC plugin is another round about possibility ... perhaps
AB
> > > support can advice if it is capable of tagging a stock with 3
or
> > more
> > > category identifiers (database fields) that you could then
> > > reference ... it might slow you down on large stock lists
though.

> > > brian_z
> > >

> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "trb0428" <tombrowne34@>

> > as