[amibroker] Re: How to import QP Hemscott structure into AB

I know a little bit about Hemscotts strucure.

I don't use QP so I can't help you directly..... of you want to copy
the structure directly you need to know if it is saved locally i.e.
in AB Workspace etc.

You then have a few choices:

- save copy of database & delete what you don't want
- copy/paste key files to duplicate database structure without data
- export symbol lists manually then reimport to a new database

BUT!

You can start from scratch and make your own H structure database (it
is incredible fun, trust me).

It would help if you could be specific about what you want to do.

To help you decide:

- Hemscott is a UK company
- it doesn't make a lot of sense to use H if you are not going to use
QP
- Hemscott have their own structure (similar to ICB)
- it is more fine grained than S&P (most of the sector trading in the
US goes on in the S&P ETF's)
- H has gained some favour in the US (don't know why they have
forgiven the Pommies, for the Boston Tea Party stuff, so easily).
- H is used at YahooUSA

http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/ind_index.html

hunt around there and you can get 5day intraday charts for industries
and component lists (html only).

- AFAIK there is no way to trade a Hemscott sector/industry (actually
there is very little difference in performance between an H sector
and an ICB sector anyway ... same old companies).

- you can get links to the H structure and H site from the UKB
(scroll down to DatabaseManagement>>Hemscott

(I posted files at the UKB to help people use for set up the
Hstructure ... can't seem to download the XL file but ask Tomasz
about it if you want it).

- You can subscribe to H site and get filtered lists for the UK but
not the US

http://www.hemscott.com/companies/company-search.do

I prefer use Dow ICB classification (I follow international markets a
little) because while it comes second in the USA it is a more
universally used classification:

- It is very similar to Hemscott.
- It is used mainly in Europe/UK.
- The DownIdexes site recently improved features and you can get
quite good file lists in CSV format from there.
- You can trade ICB sectors via futures and ETF's.
- Used by YahooUK.
- Used by STOXX.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/sectors/

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/m9.php