RE: [amibroker] Quad-core test results

Steve,

Can you provide some information about the differences between the machine you refer to as you faster primary machine and the new quad core …

-          Number of CPU’s

-          Number of Cores

-          On Chip Cache Memory Size

-          Total Memory

-          OS System & Version & SP

It would appear that without splitting up the task that you are basically getting a 2.5 times improvement between your faster primary machine and the quad core i.e. 75 minutes .vs. 30 minutes.

This could be accounted for by several things in the configuration.

I find it more interesting however that you can drive the same task through all four cores on your quad at the same speed as running a single optimization.

I would think the implication is that there would be benefit to being able to have AB do this automatically, at least on newer hardware and of course as time goes along more and more hardware out there in the hands of users will be of this caliber.

Mark K,

The problem with trying to get IO to do something like this is that my understanding of OLE / Automation is that it is only able to see what is the first instance of AB running.  The implication is that while one could be running IO in each of the four cores they would by default all be talking to the same instance of Broker.exe.