[amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was: Can someone fix this OLE code?]

Fred,

I am not a person to say one thing and mean another, or backdown from
statements that I have made in the past, not at least without a
formal retraction and you know it.

I haven't recanted on IIS -> OOS etc or the principles of SD&E
anywhere have I?

Perhaps we disagree on the point that I am not going to adjust my
system "based on what I observe from a short production run".

We could argue over how many == short I suppose but I have made my
point, on sample error, over and over, including an excel demo.

I thought we both considered that the size of a valid sample was
personal choice (I am very conservative in that area and that doesn't
seem to sit well with some).

Re PerformanceMetrics upfront:

It depends what you mean by PM.

While trading I expect variance in the trade series% and I am only
alarmed if the variance exceeds the expected worst case. If that
happens it is time to pull the plug on the system.

If you call that a PerformanceMeasure then fair enough I use them at
the front end, if you don't then I don't.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Fred Tonetti <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:

> Your post is contradictory of positions you have stated in the past
and even
> with other parts of your post .
>
> "If we define the FrontEnd as where we trade (AB as trading
platform,
> AT or as a cue for manual entry of trades) and the BackEnd as
> SystemDesign&Evaluation then, so far I haven't found a use for
> PerformanceMetrics at the FrontEnd."
>

> Doesn't the above essentially state that Performance Metrics have
no value
> in trading ?
>

> If that's the case what do you do when your OOS MDD exceeds the
previously
> tested systems MDD ?
>

> Pretend it didn't happen ?
>

> Here again you state the same thing in a different way .
>

> If SD&E is the production line then the trades I take are the
product.
> I don't see any benefit in adjusting the production line based on
> what I observe from a short production run.
>

> Trading is by definition Out Of Sample.  Performance metrics are
what make
> up the objective function.
>

> Isn't the implication of your statement that there is no value to
the out of
> sample performance metrics and doesn't that then imply that there
is no
> value to the "objective function".
>

> How did I misread what you stated ?
>

>   _____

On Behalf
> Of brian_z111
> Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 11:35 PM
> To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators [was: Can
someone fix
> this OLE code?]
>

> > If you don't see any value in adjusting the "production line"
based
> >on the
> > performance metrics then that would suggest you've not yet traded
> >with
> > dollar 1 . To use your "production line" example, Quality
Assurance
> [...]
> command
> > line
> > > arguments you supply
> > >

> > > See the notes at the top of the Script as to how to use and the
> > default
> > > values.
> > >

> > > I also renamed the Script to RunAA since that is now more
> > appropriate.
> > >

> > > Individual Backtests appear to run significantly faster than
> > Portfolio
> > > oriented ones.
> > >

> > > Fred
> > >

> > > _____
> > >
> > > From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>
> ps.com
> > [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker%40yahoogroups.com>
> ps.com]
> > On Behalf
> > > Of Herman
> > >
> > > Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:09 AM
> > >
> > > To: Fred
> > >
> > > Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: System Performance Indicators
[was:
> > Can someone
> > > fix this OLE code?]
> > >

> > > Yes, sorry should have been more explicit. The code works nice
> and
> > there are
> > > possibilities to running the code from the tools menu. But this
> > would
> > > require Explores and Backtests. Not enough time to try all the
> new
> > ideas
> > > :-) This is the code you posted:
> > >

> > > RunType = "BACKTEST"
> > >
> > > Times = 1
> > >
> > > Refresh = 0.25
> > >
> > > ShowAA = 1
> > >

> > > Set oArgs = WScript.Arguments
> > >

> > > For i = 0 to oArgs.Count - 1
> > >
> > > Arg = Split(oArgs(i), "=")
> > >
> > > Arg(0) = UCase(Trim(Arg(0)))
> > >
> > > If Arg(0) = "RUNTYPE" Then
> > >
> > > RunType = UCase(Arg(1))
> > >
> > > ElseIf Arg(0) = "TIMES" Then
> > >
> > > Times = CCur(Arg(1))
> > >
> > > ElseIf Arg(0) = "REFRESH" Then
> > >
> > > Refresh = CCur(Arg(1))
> > >
> > > ElseIf Arg(0) = "SHOWAA" Then
> > >
> > > ShowAA = CCur(Arg(1))
> > >
> > > End If
> > >
> > > Next
> > >

> > > Set oAB = CreateObject("Broker.Application")
> > >
> > > Set oAA = oAB.Analysis
> > >
> > > oAA.ShowWindow(ShowAA)
> > >

> > > BegTime = Now()
> > >

> > > While Times >= 0
> > >
> > > If RunType = "OPTIMIZE" Then
> > >
> > > oAA.Optimize(0)
> > >
> > > Else
> > >
> > > oAA.Backtest(0)
> > >
> > > End If
> > >
> > > If Refresh > 0 Then
> > >
> > > WScript.Sleep Refresh * 1000
> > >
> > > End If
> > >
> > > Times = Times - 1
> > >
> > > Wend
> > >

> > > EndTime = Now()
> > >

> > > MsgBox CStr(BegTime) + vbCrLf + CStr(EndTime), 0, "BackTest"
> > >

> > > ////////////
> > >

> > > For tips on developing Real-Time Auto-Trading systems visit:

yahoo.com/group/amibroker/>
> > yahoo.com/group/amibroker/> group/amibroker/
> > > <http://groups. <http://groups.
yahoo.com/group/amibroker/>
> > yahoo.com/group/amibroker/>

> yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>
> > yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>
> > > yahoo.com/ <http://groups.
> yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>
> > yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>
> > group/amibroker/
> > > <http://groups. <http://groups.
> yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>
> > yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join> join
> > > <http://groups. <http://groups.
> yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>
> > yahoo.com/group/amibroker/join>

> > <mailto:amibroker-digest%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com>
> > > digest@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:amibroker-digest@
> > <mailto:amibroker-digest%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com>
ps.com
> > > <mailto:amibroker-digest@ <mailto:amibroker-digest%
> 40yahoogroups.com>
> > yahoogroups.com>

> > fullfeatured@ <mailto:fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
> yahoogroups.com>
> > > fullfeatured@ <mailto:amibroker-fullfeatu
> > <mailto:amibroker-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
> red@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:red%40yahoogroups.com> com>
> > yahoogroups.
> > > <mailto:amibroker-fullfeatu
> > <mailto:amibroker-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
> red@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:red%40yahoogroups.com> com> com
> > > <mailto:amibroker-fullfeatu
> > <mailto:amibroker-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com>
> red@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:red%40yahoogroups.com> com>

> > unsubscribe@ <mailto:unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com>