[amibroker] AB tick bar analysis

My AB tick charts always seem to be different than charts created by other traders.  I have always attributed this to my real-time quote source being Interactive Brokers.  I know IB sends out quote data as time based snapshots rather than every tick.  However recently I’ve determined that my AB tick charts are different than other charting software charts also based on IB data.  Since today was a short and slow pre-holiday trading day, I decided to use the time to compare an AB tick chart with a MarketDelta (i.e. Investor/RT) tick chart.  I ran both charting packages using the same IB TWS.  AB was setup with a single 10t candle chart of the Mar 08 YM futures contract.  The chart also has a 10 period SMA and a colored volume indicator.  The chart was intentionally kept simple to minimize AB’s CPU usage.  By monitoring AB’s CPU usage, I could see that it would fluctuate between 1% and 5%.  So in other words, CPU usage should not be an issue in AB’s charting since it’s no way near 50% (i.e. my real-time chart refresh interval is set to 0).

I do not know Investor/RT very well, so I use the default settings.  The Investor/RT CPU usage vacillates between 0% and 1%.  The 10t chart is the same: Mar 08 YM 10t candle chart, 10 SMA, and colored volume.

I let both programs run through the trading day to collect data from the same IB TWS.  Next I decided on a small time slice from 11:00am EST to 11:10am EST to evaluate the differences between the charts.  The first thing I could easily notice is that Investor/RT has more bars than AB.  AB created 14 10t bars and Investor/RT created 22 10t bars between 11:00am and 11:10am.  Next I noted the timestamp, OHLC and volume of each tick bar for both charts in a spreadsheet.  The total volume between the two charts was pretty much equivalent (it’s difficult to align the two charts exactly).

The thing I find suspect is AB’s timestamps.  All my AB timestamps are a multiple of 5 seconds where Investor/RT’s timestamps look random.  I know that if AB’s CPU usage is high it will throttle down chart refresh intervals, but that should not be the case here with such low CPU utilization.

This leads to my questions:

  1. Does anyone know why AB would produce less tick bars than Investor/RT using the same data feed?
  2. Does anyone know why AB would be aggregating ticks to a time slice that is a multiple of five?  Are there settings to control this?
  3. Are AB tick charts and tick data collection dependant on the chart refresh interval?  In other words would a 10t chart with a chart refresh interval of 0 be different than a 10t chart with a refresh interval of 3 seconds?

For reference, below are snapshots of the 10t charts, the spreadsheet I created, and my AB settings.

Thanks,

David

A snapshot of each chart is below:

Tick bar data:

AmiBroker - Mar 08 YM - 12/24/2007 10t

Time

Open

High

Low

Close

Volume

11:00:35

13619

13620

13619

13620

25

11:00:55

13619

13619

13616

13618

32

11:02:00

13618

13620

13617

13260

42

11:02:55

13619

13620

13619

13619

15

11:03:35

13619

13619

13617

13618

21

11:04:20

13617

13620

13617

13618

29

11:06:00

13617

13619

13617

13618

14

11:06:40

13618

13621

13618

13620

48

11:07:35

13621

13622

13620

13622

67

11:08:05

13621

13624

13621

13624

25

11:08:50

13622

13624

13621

13622

46

11:09:25

13622

13626

13622

13625

41

11:09:50

13624

13626

13623

13624

45

11:10:35

13622

13625

13622

13624

54

Investor/RT - Mar 08 YM - 12/24/2007 10t

11:00:02

13618

13620

13618