[amibroker] Re: Sector Setup

Setting up sectors, industries, groups and markets is just the start of
a problem. Once you change or add sectors, etc. you have to define what
stocks will be in each sector, industry, whatever. I wrote a java
program to set up a new database to map the VectorVest database into
AmiBroker. That may not be what you want but the instructions on how to
do this along with an Excel spreadsheet that will reassign all your
stocks to the correct sectors, etc. is there too. The structure of the
Excel spreadsheet are critical so be careful what you do with it. The
java program reads it to create the sectors and assign all the stocks.

Just follow the instructions on the site to download the zip file onto
your computer then change the stuff to what you need. The java is open
source so you can change that to suite your needs too. Detailed
instructions on what to do are in the Word document that is downloaded
in the zip file.

My site is www.imageview.us/amibroker. The file you want is "Build a VV
or custom database on AmiBroker."  This was designed for V4.9. Since
you are going to attempt to create a NEW database in V5 you can find
out if what I provide works for you. You could just run it and see what
happens. If it works you can then modify any of it to suit your needs.
If it doesn't work just delete the new database.

Make sure you follow the directions closely or you could screw up your
current data base. Best to back it up, copy the current one to another
folder or hard drive first. Once you create the new database you will
have to download the stock info from Yahoo or whatever data source you
use.

Barry