[amibroker] Re: Dow Theory AFL

>Of course, no
>system/methodology/philosophy is the "word" and we all take what is
>useful and leave the rest alone.

I don't mind being challenged - as long as it doesn't become
personal - anyone who takes a public position should be prepared to
engage in robust discussion and sometimes be corrected.

I didn't take any offence at what you said - rather I wanted to
highlight some of the trading points that are implicit in Gerards
approach (it makes a change from code talk).

I have only been trading 4-5 years and I am (privately) quite a
biased trader already, but I seldom make emphatic public statements
as I believe I would be doing others a dis-service to bias them
towards my style (I firmly believe people have to develop their own
style which is where they will trade the best).

I look forward to your future comments as I like to hear the opinions
of others on trading - it helps keep me honest.

I haven't backtested Gerards code, but I have tested similar and I
didn't get excellent results - that's why I opened the door for
others to comment on their experiences with it - did I miss
something?.

I find it a very interesting trade - for my money it has all the key
ingredients of TA in it.

What I am saying is that if you see that trade as a CCI trade then
that is a convoluted definition of it and when 'optimimizing' it as a
CCI trade one would tend to go off and test a range of CCI parameters
(for the short and medium term CCI's etc).

If it is seen as an RTM trade (which is simpler i.e. the code is
shorter and, more importantly, the concepts underpinning the trade
are simple and universal) then the possible ways of optimizing that
trade increase.

I have a 'theory' that there are a very limited number of trades,
possibly only one, that has many variations and hundreds of ways of
modelling it (that excludes things like arbitridge trading etc).

Gerards 'system' is a classic example of a less efficient way of
modelling one of the major trades. Anyone who analyzes that trade and
reduces it to its most efficient form will learn a heck of a lot
about trading (if they don't know it already).

brian_z