[amibroker] Re: Purchasing Amibroker

> Do you use The AFL Code Wizard or the AmiQuote add-ons?

No, I don't use the AFL Code Wizard - it came out after I had owned
AB for about a year so it is hard for me to judge its value to
newusers (I had already past the initial phase where learning AFL
seems a daunting proposition to non-programmers) - it is also a
personal thing - I am forcing myself to do the AFL walk unaided.

My attitude to things like that is that trading is a business and I
accept ongoing costs as part of it (training material, data,
software) - I am cautious about letting my 'costs' run over 2% PA of
my captial (2% is the approx standard fee for fund management in
Australia so I use that as my benchmark) - another way I look at it
is the time cost - if the Wizard saves you X hours of learning time
then it is cheap compared to the 'cost' of your time.

Yes, I do use AmiQuote - it is an excellent part of the AB package -
seamless free data - I do use Yahoo data for certain trading projects
(but not exclusively) - I use Jim's US-stocks database that you can
link to from the UKB - AmiQuote is free with any AB software package -
 if you choose to register then you can access Fundamental data
(extras) and also one or two other features (COM?) - I registered my
copy because I want to support its development (I didn't really need
the extra features) - at the UKB I give links to a couple of
competitors in the Yahoo downloading stakes - they are dearer than
AQ - they don't do much more than what AQ does except perhaps for non
US markets where they can autoupdate current international ticker
lists (they only give the top equity listings though).

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Lepore"
<electricwally77@xxx> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Do you use The AFL Code Wizard or the AmiQuote add-ons?
>
> Walter
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@> wrote:
> >
> > Walter,
> >
> > > In short, what Amibroker version and add-ons do you recommend?
> >
> > Everybody is different (it really depends on your trading style)
but
> > as I rule of thumb, IMO, the easiest route is to start with the
> > Standard version and Yahoo data.
> >
> > There's no need to buy data until the initial AB learning is
under
> > your belt (the exception is hardened traders and/or those with
top
> > shelf computing skills who just jump straight into it).
> >
> > The standard version can work with 1 minute databases anyway so
> > unless you are interested in tick data there's no need for the
Pro
> > version - the exception is Time and Sales etc (you need the Pro
for
> > that).
> >
> > RT data adds an additional workload in managing data so you have
> > really need it to go to the trouble.
> > IMO once you find you need it then upgrade to the Pro.
> > If you don't know why you want it you don't need it.
> >
> > brian_z
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Lepore"
> > <electricwally77@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Members
> > >
> > > Not a relevent question here but please bear with me. I'd like
> > > purchase Amibroker today and was wondering what version you
guys are
> > > using (Standard or Pro) and if the AFL code Wizard is included
in
> > the
> > > Standard or Professional Edition.
> > >
> > > I am running the trial version and the AFL Code Wizard is
included
> > in
> > > the trial version under Analysis-AFL Code Wizard.
> > >
> > > I see that the Amibroker Ultimate Pack Pro is being made
available
> > for
> > > $377 US and the upgrades for the Amiquote and the AFL Code
Wizard
> > are
> > > free for lifetime. Does this mean if I purchase AmiQuote and
AFL