Re: [amibroker] Re: help needed on adx coding.

Brian,

To add my two cents to this discussion:

I have experienced the frustration of searching for information.
reading dozens of posts, and not finding it.  Then later I find that
the solution was there, just not called by the names I was searching
for.  This goes for not just AB, but for everything, every manual,
every internet search.

I believe the problem is the way WE don't index the information in
the way we want to search for it.  All the information is searched
for based on the lowest level of detail --relevant terms.  However,
the way we think about information is in the opposite direction --
from fuzzy concept, through more various approaches to a problem, and
finally to a specific example that is relevant (where all those terms
reside that we did not know before).

I learn easiest by example code and a general explanation of the
concepts.  However, I am often trying to do something that has not
been done publicly before, so no examples.  The first hurdle in my
quest is just to find out if what I want to do has been done before.
After coming up empty on a search for the terms I can think of, I
post my problem and ask for any advice.  A few times somebody points
me in the general or specific direction to solve my problem which I
am grateful for.  Most of the time, however, nobody else has a clue
either and I get no helpful response.  That is helpful also, because
I can stop my vain searching and start inventing a solution on my own.

With the rapid evolution and richness of AB, keeping the
documentation up to date is quite a feat.  It could be organized
better with more detailed explanations of things that programmers
take for granted as common knowledge --but are not the terms and
understanding of most users.  It could have a more encompassing index
into the information.  However, I don't know that Tomasz or the users
are ready for him to take a year off of development just to work on
documentation organization and detailing.

As you already know the UKB is a great resource in the making (and
you are helping to make it that way).  It may be the vehicle to
ultimately achieve the indexing and flushing out of helpful
information for all AB users --while allowing Tomasz to keep coding
away at that very long list of requested features.

Just food for thought.

Best regards,
Dennis Brown