From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dennis Brown
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2007 5:45 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Why does it take so long to apply
edits?

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found how to fix
this
problem.  Somehow my chart had become corrupted in such a
way that
every edit I made would progressively add a little bit more
to the
time it took to "Apply Indicator".  I was up to 15 minutes
today
before I found it was not my AFL that was doing it.  AB
Support tried
my AFL and let me know that it was not the problem which got
me
looking in the right direction.  Copying my AFL to another
sheet
fixed the problem.  It actually takes less than a second to
do this
operation now.

Best regards,
Dennis

On Nov 8, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Dennis Brown wrote:

> Tomasz,
>
> Thank you for your response on the forum.  Since this
problem seems
> to have gone way beyond the purpose of the forum at this
point, I am
> switching to AB Support to debug this issue.  I have
included this

> But to answer your questions here for the completeness of
this thread:

> Yes, I am talking about "Apply Indicator" taking so long
and it did
> not make sense to me either that it should take so long.
>
> If I do a "Verify syntax" it takes less than a second.
>
> Normal operation mode is .25 seconds and resulted in the
following:

> 	Using constant volume bar mode resulted in an
"Apply" time of 8.5
> minutes.
> 	Switching to daily mode resulted in an "Apply" time
of 9.5 minutes --
> so not an improvement.
> 	Commenting out ALL 2700 lines of my AFL code
resulted in an apply
> time of 3 minutes.
>
> The Profiler runs instantly and shows .01 seconds
execution time, but
> consists of only 6 functions that are checked because most
of the AFL
> is conditionally executed in indicator mode only.
>
> I edited out my indicator mode wrapper and used the
Profiler again.
> This time it showed the results on the screen for about 2
seconds,
> then the window disappeared and none of the AB windows
could be
> selected, as if the profiler model dialog box was still
open but now
> invisible.  I was able to catch the AFL run time from the
window
> before it disappeared.  One time it said .45 seconds,
another time it
> was 1.1 seconds.
>
> I took screen shots of the Task Manager while it is doing
an "Apply
> indicator" and sent them along with my AFL code to the AB
support
> email.
>
> Thank you for all you do for us.
> Best regards,
>
> Dennis
>
> On Nov 7, 2007, at 4:26 PM, Tomasz Janeczko wrote:
>
>> Dennis,
>>
>> If you speak about "Apply indicator" - it should be
sub-second time.
>> Minutes mean that something is wrong.
>> "Applying indicator" executes the code for ALL bars with
selected
>> symbol and selected interval.
>>
>> Your formula needs to be doing some weird things if that
takes that
>> much time.
>> Use built in Profiler (in 5.0.1) to find out which
functions that
>> you are using cause such long times.
>>
>> Other than looking at your formula I can only suggest to
switch to
>> daily interval when applying the code during editing.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tomasz Janeczko
>> amibroker.com
apply edits?

>>> Ok,
>>>
>>> This has totally frustrated me.  I am ready to abandon
the built-in
>>> AFL editor.  It is taking forever to debug code when I
have to wait
>>> 4-8 minutes for every typo.
>>>
>>> However, I need to keep my AB chart running while
editing the AFL
>>> (because my AB startup setup is complicated).
>>>
>>> Can I use an external editor as a *direct* replacement
for the
>>> built-
>>> in editor?
>>> Alternatively, is there a way to disable the checking
done by the
>>> AFL
>>> formula editor when applying?
>>> Actually the syntax checking is fast, it is what it does
after that
>>> that takes so long.
>>>
>>> Am I the only one who sees this problem?
>>>
>>> Best regards,

edits has
code so that
became frustrated