[amibroker] Re: Users' Knowledge Base and myriad of support resources...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "rob_7429" <rob__shaw@xxx> wrote:

> I've been an AmiBroker customer for over a month now and loving
every
> minute of it. It's an incredibly deep and powerful tool, with an
> amazing community as you all know.
>
> In that time, I've spent many hours scouring the amibroker website,
> the yahoo groups, and the myriad of other AB information sources
out
> there.
>
> I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the lay of the land, until I
> shockingly discovered the "Users' Knowledge Base"
> (http://www.amibroker.org/userkb/), not to be confused with the
> official "Knowledge Base" (http://www.amibroker.com/kb/), from a
> posting by Herman recently.
> (ps. Amazing job Herman & Brian_z - the Amibroker community is in
> your debt for generously spreading your knowledge).
>
> I found it staggering that this wealth of knowledge had eluded me
> until today.
>
> So the purpose of this message:
>
> (1) A passionate plea to Tomasz to put links to the Users'
Knowledge
> Base on the Amibroker website. I couldn't find one.
>
> (2) To share the following observation in the interests of helping
> Tomasz make Amibroker an even greater commercial success:
>
> There is an incredible amount of useful information on Amibroker
and
> trading, but the organization of it is in a complete state of
> disarray. I suspect a large number of potential customers have
walked
> away once presented with the large number of documents and links
that
> lack an organized flow. IMHO Amibroker is too good of a tool to let
> this occur.
>
> My quick inventory of support resources includes:
>
> - Users' Knowledge Base
> - Knowledge Base
> - Devlog
> - 4 yahoo groups w/ files (amibroker, amibroker-ts, amibroker-afl,
&
> amibroker-news)
> - User's guide
> - Official tutorials
> - Member submitted tutorials
> - Video tutorials
> - AFL Library
> - Troubleshooting guide
> - Starters Guide
> - Old AmiBroker Tips Newsletters
> - Additional documentation on the amibroker.com support page
>
> This is a lot of resources for a new customer to get a handle on,
and
> a lot for an existing customer to monitor for new posts.
>
> My recommendation:
>
> Take a holistic view of all the support resources and reorganize
them
> into a cohesive assembly, delete outdated resources (E.g. amibroker-
> news), migrate useful resources into the user's guide (E.g
> Troubleshooting guide and FAQ) or into the Knowledge Base (E.g.
> Amibroker Tips newsletter), etc.
>
> The relatively recent introduction of the Knowledge Bases and
DevLog
> goes a long way, but if feels like legacy documents and links need
> be cleaned up.
>
> I'd certainly be happy to lend a helping hand wherever able.
>
> Thanks for the ear.
>
> Rob

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your compliments re the UKB.
I would also like to mention Al, who is Hermans silent partner, and
Fred, who posted his work (IMO in it's rightful place) with a minimum
of fuss. Also we shouldn't forget that it is Tomasz who sponsors us
and also had the foresight to support Herman and I when we suggested
the UKB to him.

Anyway - mainly I wanted to let you know that the DevLog, the two
KB's (including comments) and this site can be received as RSS feeds
(there's a post at the UKB about how to setup for it or to receive
RSS to your email). So the Devlog and the KB's are actually
consolidated and delivered to your door. The private Yahoo sites
aren't RSS enabled. So actually it is the bits and pieces pre RSS
that are out of alignment.

Also Tomasz was talking about a better (internal) AB search system?

I might be wrong but I think the UKB also doesn't figure in Google
searches etc which seems a pity.

I agree with your comments that consolidation of the legacy articles
etc would be good.

Brian_z