[amibroker] Re: Amibroker High CPU Utilization-anyone else seeing this?.

I had a lot of "RequestTimedRefresh( 1, False );" in my code.
I reduced them to one and the CPU load came down from 90% to around 10%.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How many times I have to explain that in ANY program that allows
custom formulas,
> the USER can write formula that will executed slow. And this is
exactly what is happening.

> The USER wrote the formula badly and I offered him help in fixing
HIS formula.
> Any formula can be written so bad that it will execute 1000x slower
than it should.

> I can take Visual C++ or Assembler or any language and I can
demonstrate that I can write
> the code that will take one hour, month or year to execute. And this
has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
> to do with the language you are using.
>
> So it is not AB.
> It is THE USER who controls it.
>
> Any formula that is shipped with AmiBroker executes well below 0.1
second and causes less than few percent CPU load.

> AmiBroker runs at PHENOMENAL speed !
>
> See the example code:
> GetPerformanceCounter(1);
>
> for( i = 0; i < 10000; i++ )
> {
>   x = High + Low;
> }
>
> NumberOfOperations = BarCount * i;
>
> timeperadd = GetPerformanceCounter(1);
>

> for( i = 0; i < 10000; i++ )
> {
>   y = x / 2;
> }
>
> timeperdiv= GetPerformanceCounter(1);
>
> StrFormat("Total Number of operations = %12.12g", NumberOfOperations );
> StrFormat("Total time of additions [milliseconds] = %.2f",
timeperadd );
> StrFormat("Time per one addition [milliseconds] = %.9f",
timeperadd/NumberOfOperations );
> StrFormat("Number of additions per second = %12.12g",
1000/(timeperadd/NumberOfOperations) );
> StrFormat("Total time of divisions [milliseconds] = %.2f",
timeperdiv );
> StrFormat("Time per one divisions [milliseconds] = %.9f", timeperdiv
/NumberOfOperations );
> StrFormat("Number of divisions per second = %12.12g",
1000/(timeperdiv /NumberOfOperations) );

> On 2GHz Athlon the results are as follows:
>
> Total Number of operations =     18040000
> Total time of additions [milliseconds] = 50.25
> Time per one addition [milliseconds] = 0.000002785
> Number of additions per second =    359021216
> Total time of divisions [milliseconds] = 85.39
> Time per one divisions [milliseconds] = 0.000004733
> Number of divisions per second =    211270320
>
> (Test was performed on 101000 bars data, that accounts for 3MB -
which is MORE than on-chip cache size, therefore memory access times
were accounted in,
> note that tests involve arithmetic operation PLUS two memory reads
and one memory write per iteration)

> That gives phenomenal speed of
> 359 MEGAFLOPS (addition) or 211 MEGAFLOPS (division) - where ONE
MEGAFLOP is one million of floating point operations per second
(including data read/write)
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaflop
>
> This is about AS FAST AS this CPU is capable of running.
> This is most amazing fact because it proves that AFL when running
array operations runs AS FAST AS it would be possible if your code was
written directly in MACHINE CODE
> (taking into account regular floating point operations, *not* SSE,
3dNow or other SIMD)
> In other words AFL has near-zero overhead when running array
operations and can be compared with assembly language when running
array operations.

> As a comparision JScript on the same machine runs at speed of only
0.8 MFLOPS (divisions). That shows that JScript  250 times slower than
AFL.

> Bottom line: there is simply nothing faster than AFL. So if your
formula executes slowly it is your formula bad coding, not AmiBroker.

> For the reference I have been running AmiBroker even on low end
133Mhz Pentium IN REAL TIME.

> And Amiga version of AmiBroker
> was running OK even on 7MHz (yes SEVEN MEGAHERTZ == 0.007 GHz)
processor and 1 MB (yes ONE megabyte) of RAM.
> AFL engine exactly the same in both.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

On Behalf Of Padhu
>   Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:08 AM
>   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   Subject: Re: [amibroker] Amibroker High CPU Utilization-anyone
else seeing this?.

>   Thanks Tomasz. I have no no loops. No complex indicators.
>
>   Just a lot of timeframe expands.
>

>   I will try the AFL timing and see. If I am unable to find out I
will send it to support.

>   I have no doubt that AFL is the fastest out there. I have been
using amibroker since 2004 and I love each and each every day of my
experience with it.

>   Its just that I am perplexed why the CPU would get bogged down
like this.

>   Thanks again.
>

>   Will try the AFL timing you and Herman put together.
>
>   Cheers,Padhu

written and it should not be used.

>     You must either rewrite it or send it to us and we will tell you
what is wrong.

>     But again: any formula that executes in more than 0.5 sec is NOT
to be used in real-time

>     and requires either rewrite or removal.
>

>     Best regards,
>     Tomasz Janeczko
>     amibroker.com

runnning. It always spikes back and forth and stays very high near
90-100% . process shows broker.exe spiking.

>        I have only 6 charts attached.
>

>       I have noticed this in the past when I had indicators attached
to more than 8 charts. Now I have only 6 six. Other than 1 , all other
indicators are all fairly simple...no looping etc..But uses timeframe
expands from daily etc.