[amibroker] Re: How do I backtest placing a restricted number of limit orders each night?

i'll try to reply directly from yahoo. My posts aren't coming through anymore. Might be because of the ISP ...

so if I understand correctly the problem is not that the backtester picks 20 stocks while there is only money for 10 but you have a problem with the fact that if the 10 actual signals are not filled it will use the lower ranking 10 signals and this is not what you want.

You can include this in the backtester. I explained the same thing some time ago. For signals that you actually want to enter but in real life will not be entered because the limit is not reached then you can tell the backtester to enter at the open and exit at the open and do not allow for a single bar trade (in the settings window).

There might be easier ways to do this (I mean using arrays only) but I have some example code below. I did not check if the code is entirely correct but I'll explain the idea: The Buy array is fed to the sellAtLimit procedure and when it finds a buy it will check if the buy limit is reached for that signal. If it is not reached (so if Low[ i ] >= buyLimit[ i ] ) then you tell the backtester to enter and exit at the same price, same bar. What happens is that the backtester reserves this money for this trade and will not use it for another trade. The only thing that is not realistic is that you will pay commission. But this will be a small factor.

rgds, Ed

procedure sellAtLimit_proc(Buy,BuyPrice,buyLimit,sellLimit) {

global Sell
;
global SellPrice
;
global
BuyAdjusted;
global
BuyPriceAdjusted;

// initialise arrays

SellPrice = 0
;
Sell = 0
;
BuyAdjusted =
0
;
BuyPriceAdjusted =
0
;

for (i = 1; i < BarCount
; i++) {

// case where it is likely to enter a long position

if (Buy[ i ] == 1 AND Low
[ i ] < buyLimit[ i ]) {

// buy at limit

      BuyAdjusted[ i ] =
1
;

if (Open
[ i ] < buyLimit[ i ]) {

         BuyPriceAdjusted[ i ] =
Open
[ i ];

      }
else
{

         BuyPriceAdjusted[ i ] = buyLimit[ i ];

      }

// find a sell position + sellprice

for (j = i; j < BarCount; j++) {

if (O
[ j ] > sellLimit[ j ]) {

Sell[ j ] = 1
;

SellPrice[ j ] = O
[ j ];
            i = j;

break
;

         }
else if (O[ j ] < sellLimit[ j ] AND H
[ j ] > sellLimit[ j ]) {

Sell[ j ] = 1
;

SellPrice
[ j ] = sellLimit[ j ];
            i = j;

break
;

         }
else if (j == BarCount - 1
) {

            i =
BarCount
;

         }

      }

   }
else if (Buy[ i ] == 1 AND Low
[ i ] >= buyLimit[ i ]) {

// enter and exit at the same price and time ("VOID" trade)

      BuyAdjusted[ i ] =
1
;
      BuyPriceAdjusted[ i ] =
Open
[ i ];

Sell[ i ] = 1
;

SellPrice[ i ] = Open
[ i ];

   }

}

}
// end procedure

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sfclimbers" <sfclimbers@xxx> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I will look into your suggestion, but I don't
> think that that is the issue that I am up against. I have actual
> trade data from months of live trading. I am now trying to backtest
> the strategy used, and match the results to the actual data.
>
> My script, as written, is correctly entering and exiting with the
> correct number of shares and correct price points on all the correct
> days for all the trades that actually took place.
>
> The problem is that if I receive 20 "go long" signals on Monday
> night, but only have enough money to afford 8 more positions, then in
> real life I only place limit orders for the *top* 8 of the 20
> candidates, not all 20.
>
> This means that in reality, if none of the top 8 dip to my limit
> order, then I will not get any fills on Tuesday, even though I still
> have not filled my slots, and even though some of the lesser
> candidates would have resulted in a fill had I place an order for
> them.
>
> However, the script is considering *all* 20 candidates, and fills up
> to 8 that dip enough to trigger a limit order. In other words, the
> script assumes that there are limit orders on all candidates instead
> of only the top 8.
>
> Using position score and position sizing is not enough, since these
> assume that the universe of candidates fitting the criteria is always
> available for prioritizing and filling available slots. But, in
> reality, only a subset are being bid on.
>
> As an example, if I'm currently holding:
> AAA, BBB
>
> And I then get signals for (in sorted order):
> CCC, DDD, EEE, FFF, GGG, HHH, III, JJJ, KKK, LLL, ... TTT
>
> I will only place limit orders for the top 8:
> CCC, DDD, EEE, FFF, GGG, HHH, III, JJJ
>
> If none of the top 8 above reach my limit, but say 8 lesser ones do
> (that I did not bid on), then in real life I will get no fills for
> the day. However, my script is saying that I picked up the 8 lesser
> fills since I had 8 slots open and these 8 met the limit price.
>
> How can I structure my code to recognize that 20 entry setups were
> found, but only 8 of them were acted upon, none of which actually
> worked out due to not meeting the limit price?
>
> I can't seem to use the custom backtester to sweep through the orders
> and null out the false buys that would not have taken place, since I
> don't have access to the scores of the candidates that didn't get
> filled.
>
> Yet, similarly, I can't seem to prevent triggering the buys in the
> first place, since I don't have access to the scores of the other
> candidates at that time either.
>
> When there are fewer signals than slots to fill, everything is
> great :) But this strategy often results in more signals than there
> is money to bid with :(
>
> Thanks.
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Edward Pottasch" empottasch@
> wrote:

> [...]