[amibroker] Re: Random Walk - step 2 - : Predicitable ?

There are really three analysis methods for trading... fundamental
analysis (FA), technical analysis (TA), and decision analysis (DA).

For example, I would classify money management techniques under DA,
though things such as scaled trades, stop losses and profit stops
may be optimized in the same way as a TA indicator -- so there
is "some" crossover between DA and TA.

The DA helps form the command system for how FA and TA operate.
Knowing that overall market conditions are poor/good due to a market
breadth analysis, using sector analysis to determine which sectors
to trade at any given time, kowing which watchlist to trade, or
knowing which FA data and TA indicator combinations to use in
specific market environments -- could all be classified as DA.

DA is where trading experience is hard-coded, which means any newbie
trying to code DA will be relying heavily on the wisdom handed to
them by other traders.

IMO, DA is the weak spot for most traders. Amibroker is a wonderful
tool for going very deep into sophisticated TA, and I often see
heavy focus on TA instead of DA -- although TA is nearly useless
without good DA. Fortunately, there are some decent DA methods
readily available in AFL -- although they are a definite minority.

The composite indice creation functionality in AB was a massive
breakthrough in DA, IMO. I have been surprised to see few examples
of how to seriously exploit this for profits, though -- other than
old-school TA applied to the indices. Applying smart DA to determine
which tickers are used to create an indice, as a quick example...
something that has been overlooked by many. There are many other DA
approaches that may be applied to this. This is just a quick example
so people have an idea of what I am talking about. DA is very open-
ended and is not specific to composite indice creation.

Namaste,

~Bman

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sursod" <sursod@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
only
> is TA no Holy Grail I do not think of them as much better than
> broken clocks that chime twice a day. I decided to do things my
way -
>  teach the robot to trade like a discretionary trader. In a very
> crude manner, for sure. But despite the crudeness the robot trader
> (mechanical system) has an edge because of it's consistency. We
> cannot measure the odds of our decision making unless we are
> consistent, at the same time we do not learn efficiently without
> reliable feedbacks, this I feel is the problem with discretionary
> trading.
>
> Using a combination of indicators does not necessarily improve the
> resulting accuracy - a set of 5, 10 or 20 that agree, among
hundreds
> and thousands of broken clocks, is no more guarantee of accuracy
> than one indicator alone. However "decision making" based on
> multiple TA does "smooth the accuracy curve" which is important
for
> me. I would rather my TA accuracy swing between 45% - 55% and not
> between 30% - 70%, if I am confident of that  the Average Win:
> Average Loss ratio will take care of the rest. Assuming 40% win
the
> AW:AL ratio needs to be 1.5 to break even and if through exit
design
> I can achieve an AW:AL ratio of 2.5  I will have some cushion for
> Walk Forward degradation. The AW:AL ratio is easier to control and
> degrades less than the %win ratio because it is more money
> management than TA dependent.
>
> I stick with a few simple indicators and won't use anything I do
not
> understand. My favorites are RSI, SRSI, Bollinger Band and
> candlesticks, not because I think they are better but because I
know
> them better.
> Sursod
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brpnw1" <tradermail@> wrote:
> >
> > I feel I led some people here astray. I want to say that no
single
> > indicator may be used to predict the market 100% of the time. If
> it
> > existed, we would know about it, because it would be our holy
> grail
> > and it's all we would talk about here.
> >
> > What I have been trying to say is that a number of different TA
> > systems are required to make an "uber" system that contains them
> > all. The "uber" system contains decision-making code that taps
> into
> > such things as market breadth, open interest, and trend
detection -
> -
> > all for the purpose of emulating the human decision-making
process
> > regarding which technical indicators to use.
> >
> > The key is not in the depth of the indicator code complexity.
It's
> > in emulating the human decision-making process regarding which
> > indicators to use at any given time.
> >
> > There should even, perhaps, be a separate AFL library or library
> > section that focuses strictly on code that emulates the decision-
> > making process. It would do everyone well to stop pursuing the
> math
> > and engineering skills, and begin pursuing the ability to break
> down
> > the decision-making process regarding which TA indicator
> > combinations to use for different situations.
> >
> > After testing thousands of indicators and combinations of
> indicators
> > over the last 6 years, I can now say my best indicators are the
> > simplest ones, some of which are ones that were handed to me in
my
> > first month or two of playing with Amibroker. The hard part has
> been
> > in getting the trading experience under my belt so that I can
code
> > the decision-making process mentioned above.
> >
> > Thanks for reading,
> >
> > Namaste,
> >
> > ~Bman
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cstrader" <cstrader232@>
wrote:

> > > Although I very much hate to say it, I am indeed skeptical
that
> > there are
> > > any technical systems that work consistently.  I am also
> convinced
> > (see Ly's
> > > argument) that if technical analysis ever did work, it works
> less
> > well now
> > > than it did in the past.
> > >
> > > I would like to hear from any technical trader who can provide
> > complete
> > > and independently verified list (for instance on
> > www.timertrac.com) of his
> > > or her trades that show a profit that beats some benchmark
(say
> > sp500) over
> > > a consecutive period of 3 recent years.
> > >
> > > Ly, can you explain why volatility analysis is different than
> > technical
> > > analysis?   Can you give examples of volatility systems that
> might
> > be
> > > useful? Also, can you explain your statement regarding
> > the "correlation
> > > between volumes and prices?"
> > >
> > > One example of a volatility-based system that may be
successful
> is
> > the
> > > "fasttrack" approach (see for instance