[amibroker] Re: Range Candlestick Charts

Hi,

I'm also a user of QuoteTracker Range candlesticks, and miss the
feature in AmiBroker.  There is an entry in the Feedback Center, with
a couple comments, so the developer(s) know about our feature request.

I've tried my hand at coding a Range Bar chart display, but it has the
following problems:

a) The choice of range bar size determines the number of bars
displayed on the screen - too large a range, and only part of the
screen will have bars, too small a range, and there are too many bars
to fit in an array, so not all the price data can be processed.

b) If the database time interval is too large, you can't use small
ranges.  First, there will be few range bars, and second, it is not
possible to tell, when processing  large time-interval bars, whether
the range bars should go up first to the high, then down to the low,
or vice versa.  So the time interval must be small, and then the range
must also be small.  It is tough to get a combination that works well,
and fills the screen.

c) The range bars are mapped to the times of the source time interval
price bars, and so it is hard to tell when the range bar was created.
 This may be possible with some more programming work, but it might
still be tough to get a date and time scale on the chart.

d) Indicators don't apply to range bars, so you have to create your
own indicators (and use the range bar arrays as input).

So, the conclusion I've come to is that the AmiBroker program will
need to support range bars natively, as it currently supports time and
tick bars, especially for backtesting and scanning to work.

BTW, if anyone else has attacked this problem with good results,
please let us know.

- Bill