[amibroker] Re: Margin of Error

As far as rehashing existing trades in some supposedly statistically
significant order which are the result of already having been curve
fit verus OOS/WF testing ... Sorry ... But I could not possibly agree
with you less ...

As far as your last comment ... Market prices are definitly a noisy
data stream but they are definitely NOT about random walk ... If they
were we'd need nothing more then a newspaper and a few darts to be at
our best ...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian.z123" <brian.z123@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
is
> good fun at the same time).
> Now the chances of that one OOS equity curve being the exact one
> received the first time the system is traded are very slim, so why
is
> it so important?
>
> Well, it's not.
>
> If any large data sample of trades is walked through using random
> selection there is an infinite number of possible equity curves,
any
> one of which could be *the one* that the trader gets the first time
> they trade the system.
> It is these equity curves that constitute the range of all possible
> trading futures.
> Which one we are going to get we don't know and never will, but we
can
> know our chances of getting any one of them,especially the bad ones.
>
> I will warrant that traders remember their extreme losses more
vividly
> than their extreme wins.
>
> When enough trade simulations have been conducted, all the equity
> curves will fall into a recogniseable distribution; one that
> approaches a normal curve.
> Unless a trader designs a system that never loses, the equity curve
> distributions will include some minus 4 or 5 standard deviation
cases
> with a probability for each range.
> It doesn't matter if that ruinous curve has a 1/1 billion chance of
> occurring, it can still occur at anytime,even on the first trading
> excursion with the system i.e. during the OOS test.
> For that reason I say that in some cases we throw out perfectly
good
> trading systems because wild chance sometimes throws up a poor
> outcome, from a good system, during our OOS test.
> The chances of this happening in the OOS test are exactly the same
as
> happening in the first or any other real time trading scenario.
>
> If we have do one OOS test and it gets our confidence up, should we
> then do another one, and another one?
> Then we could really start trading the system with confidence>
>
> The trading commentators I have read don't offer any firm criteria
for
> deciding if a OOS test is acceptable or not.
> They generally give a wishy-washy definition e.g. *If the OOOS test
is
> within 50% of the back-test results*.
> Why 50% and what does that mean anyway?
>
> My claim is that we can be definite about it.
> If fact we can be just as definite as the margin of error provided
by
> our sampling technique and subsequent statistical evaluation.
>
> In another post I will provide a simple MCS example, that to my
mind
> demonstrates this quite clearly.
>
> Anyone still in doubt after that should wait for the *piece de
> resistance*, the Random Walk, which ties it all together
irrefutably