Re: [amibroker] Re: Positionsize & How to update Capita

Checked the equity curve...got it!  Thanks a million.

  Wade

Graham <kavemanperth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Remember that this is calculated on the backtest open equity so you need to check the equity curve from the backtest chart.

if current equity is $25,000
Equity risk is 2% ($500)
Buyprice is $10
Trade risk $0.50

Trade size becomes 2*10/0.5 = 40% of equity, ie 1000 shares
Working out as num shares
Risk = 25000*0.02 = 500
num shares = 500 / 0.50 = 1000 shares
.

--
Cheers
Graham

  On 03/11/06, wadebullock <wadebullock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm trying to positionsize based on current
backtest equity.  Prior to starting this thread, I had tried the
formula you sent, positionsize = -2 * buyprice/IPS;.

Starting with the first symbol of a portfolio backtest, this seemed
to do the job.  But found that for some reason the number of shares
were always more than what they should be, if compared to my hand
calculation.

Since your reply, that formula still gives me more shares than what I
expect, however, if I backtest just the one symbol (the first of the
portfolio backtest) the number of shares are correct!  Not sure what
to make of it or how to fix it.

I hope all of that makes sense.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wade

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Graham <kavemanperth@xxx> wrote:

> Are you trying to size the trades based on current backtest Equity,
instead
> of starting equity, with 2% risk and the stoploss?
>
> positionsize = -2 * buyprice/IPS;
>
> or if based on 7000 starting capital only
>
> positionsize = 0.02 * Capital * buyprice/IPS;
>
> --
> Cheers
> Graham
> AB-Write >< Professional AFL Writing Service
> Yes, I write AFL code to your requirements
> http://www.aflwriting.com
>

> On 02/11/06, wadebullock <wadebullock@xxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi there!
> > I'm trying to develop a daytrading system(daily bars only) that
buys
> > on the open and sells on the close and also uses a modified
variation
> > of Tharps ATR position sizing technique..
> >
> > So far I've been unable to figure out what I need to do
> > in order for the backtester to update my "Capital" after a trade.
As