*****SPAM***** Re: [amibroker] Re: System Performances

SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
SPAM:
SPAM: Content analysis details:   (5.10 hits, 5 required)
SPAM: NO_REAL_NAME       (1.3 points)  From: does not include a real name
SPAM: COMMENT            (0.8 points)  Found a Comment header
SPAM: TO_BE_REMOVED_REPLY (0.4 points)  BODY: Says: "to be removed, reply via email" or similar
SPAM: SPAM_PHRASE_02_03  (0.8 points)  BODY: Spam phrases score is 02 to 03 (medium)
SPAM:                    [score: 2]
SPAM: QUOTED_EMAIL_TEXT  (-0.8 points) BODY: Contains what looks like a quoted email text
SPAM: MAILTO_TO_SPAM_ADDR (0.7 points)  URI: Includes a link to a likely spammer email address
SPAM: FORGED_JUNO_RCVD   (2.4 points)  'From' juno.com does not match 'Received' headers
SPAM: AWL                (-0.5 points) AWL: Auto-whitelist adjustment
SPAM:
SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------

IMHO, The stop loss should be based on market dynamic, not a % of
instument price.  Then, you would use the stop loss to size your position
to limit the loss to an acceptable portion of your portfolio.

Millowena
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:58:57 -0000 "intermilan04"
<intermilan04@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi Yuki,
>
> Thank you for your thorough reply.
>
> While I agree with a wide bid/ask spread and orders appearing and
> vanishing at incredible pace, I still think that having some kind
> of
> stop-loss measure is a valuable strategy.  IMO, just as likely as
> you
> stop out lower than 3%, you can stop out higher than 3% (I've seen
> that to happen on my position before).  A 3% stop-loss order might
> not
> get you out at 3% all the time, but it is the best one can do to
> limit
> the loss.
>
> Regards,
>
> intermilan04
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Yuki Taga <yukitaga@xxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi intermilan04,
> >
> > Let me take a shot at that one.  ^_^
> >
> > At least here, there are *plenty* of stocks with a wide bid/ask
> > spread, even stocks that trade 10 million shares or more a day.
> It
> > depends on the stock, and on the time of day, and on the overall
> > market.
> >
> > Moreover, even with bids and offers up and down the line, you
> might
> > be *amazed* at how quickly those bids can vanish in response to
> some
> > negative event, or how one really *large* at market offer (not
> > yours), or a bunch of at market orders hitting at the same time,
> can
> > move the stock suddenly out of the congestion zone, where there
> are
> > air pockets galore. Your stop has to be "at market" of course
> (not
> > stop-limit), or you have no assurance of ever getting out.  Most
> > people don't have privileges to see the entire bid-ask tree.
> They
> > don't see the (sometimes *huge*) air pockets that are lurking
> above
> > and below the current congestion zone.  A stop loss at market
> only
> > guarantees you'll get out.  It absolutely does *not* guarantee
> you'll
> > get out at some minimum percentage loss.  Often?  Maybe.  But you
> > can't bank on it.  And the problem is, when you really need it,
> > that's when it becomes problematic.
> >
> > Yuki
> >
> > Tuesday, April 18, 2006, 11:52:06 AM, you wrote:
> >
> > i> Fred,
> >
> > i> Could you explain as to why 3% wouldn't always limit losses to
> 3%?
> > i> Assuming the stock has some volume (at least 100K), and I set
> stop
> > i> loss order as soon as I buy stocks...I'm not quite sure of the
> > i> circumstances where 3% stop loss would not work.
> >
> > i> My system is a daytrading system so there is no gap ups and
> downs.
> >
> > i> Regards,

> [...]

GFT Forex Trading Accounts As low as $250 with up to 400:1 Leverage. Free Demo.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lpv1TA/jlQNAA/U1CZAA/GHeqlB/TM