Re: [amibroker] Rel Strength - Market Cap - Dan Clark

Hi Dan,

Glad things are popping out ... so they can be addressed. Some sort of "Standard" created by multiple users will go a long way in creating clean code...

A couple of point:

I had considered dividing the ATC summation by number of issues, and that is a perfect way of normalizing, but seems redundant since I was normalizing later by converting all to percentages. I need to let this soak in. Be very interested t see your results.

The number of issues in a sector or industry does vary in my charts, with time. All I am using is the ATC summation... so I am not clear about why the difference...

The market cap calculations ( I copied your code snippet) will impact the number of issues in a sector as prices flactuates over time.

Mkt_Cap = Shares * Price;
Mkt_Cap limits are fixed, so the threshold of belonging in one group or another will not be met consistantly. Consequently varying sizes of SC, MC and LC groups due to price fuctuations. Not sure what the remedy would be, or in fact we should try to "fix" it. If so, the cap limits should be variable bases on total sector cap ... which of course could bring forth a lot of unknown issues. So again, I don't understand why you had ALWAYS constant results. We are apparently doing things differently.

One thing I neglected to mention, that I do filter the results for charting by a 5 period EMA. This of course would make the charts look smoother, but it should in no way impact the relationship between sectors.

I think the important thing is not "perfection", whatever that might be, but consistancy of methodology. We should be able to do that reasonably.

I'll take some time to think abouth an overview of all this towards "standarizing" methodology and presentation. That would make future communications and comparisons much easier.

Did not grasp the significance of using PlotOHLC ... or how you would use it for this application. Show the variations in number of issues in each group?  Reasonable, but the display may get a bit too crowded.

I appreciate your sharing and your creativity of using Market cap.... and onward we go

Ara