RE: [amibroker] can anyone help me in coding AFL

Unless I’m missing something, I strongly second Chuck’s suggestion – use the MA function.   Assuming that you have the latest beta version:

1. Open a chart.

2. Select “View à Charts” to ensure that you have the Charts table visible.

3. Click on “Averages” to expand it.

4. Click on “MA – Simple Moving Averages”.

5. Right-click and select “Overlay”.  This will overlay the MA on your chart.

6. Right-click on the chart, select “Edit formula”.

7. At the bottom, you will see a new section labeled “MA”.  It will show the code that computes and plots the MA.

You said that you wanted to learn programming.  I AM a programmer professionally.  I’ve been writing code since 1971.   (Currently I’m a contract database developer.)  Based on decades of programming and about six months programming AmiBroker, here are some STRONG suggestions:

- Forget VBScript and any other procedural language for a while.   In AmiBroker, NEVER use looping, procedural code unless absolutely necessary.    AmiBroker is an array-processing engine.   Learn how it works.   Don’t fight it.

 Start with the Help file and look at the Tutorials, especially the “AmiBroker Formula Language” tutorials.

- Always use native internal AmiBroker functions if they are available.   (You’ll still have plenty to code anyway.)

- Learn from the MA Code inserted in your chart.  Look at it carefully and understand what each parameter does.  Play with each parameter and watch the effect it has.  That’s the fasted way to learn AmiBroker coding.

IF and ONLY IF you don’t get the results you want when you have applied the three rules above, then you turn to alternative methods (such as VBScript looping).

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., In case you are wondering, I started programming VB at Version 1.0 in 1992.  I’ve programmed every version since then including VB.Net.   In other words, I could easily write VBScript code in AmiBroker, but I still strongly recommend against it except as a last resort.