[amibroker] Re: assembling a new computer

For some reason this message from last week never made it to distribution on the mail list...trying again.   Sid
*****

Hi George, been a long time....  I'll check with my friend to see if he has such a list.

My opinion follows.  If I had the luxury of more than one new machine I would build an Athlon screamer for back testing and gaming.  However, much of my daily usage is multitasking in nature, mail, quotetracker, IB, net surfing, some light AB work during the day and so on.  This is handled much better by the hyperthreaded P4 or, if you have the big bucks, by the new dual core Athlon.  With hyperthreading turned off a CPU intensive program running in the background can cause the forground application to be very slow or even nearly grind to a stop.  With hyperthreading on I am almost completely unaware of the presence of the background task.

The bottom line here is to go with a computing solution that supports the way you work.

BTW, on those optimization runs I mentioned below; it takes 300 to 400 of those 10 minute runs for the actual finished test....several days of number crunching.

Sid

George Loyd <grloyd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Sid,

I am building an Athlon machine - Athlon 3500+ Could you give give a more detailed list of components your friend used or could you put me in contact with him? I am looking for specific brands, etc.

Regards,
George Loyd

Sidney Kaiser wrote:
Dean, to give you some idea of the differences between computers I have recorded the following data.  I run huge optimizations using AB with Fred's excellent IO optimizer.  2500 stocks, 10 variables, 2 years of EOD data.  All systems have 1 Gb of RAM.  Times are for 1 full, 36 steps, run thru the optimizer.

Old Dell 2.5 GHz P4, 14 minutes

Dell 3.2 GHz P4 ht, 11 mimutes, ~ equal to processor speed difference

Dell 3.6 GHz P4 ht, 7m 15 sec, noticably quicker than the 3.2 GHz machine.

and last weekend on a friends new Athlon machine
Athlon 3500+, 4m 25 sec,  Quick, but expensive to buy in assembled form.

Cheers
Sid

Dean Hodgins <deanhodgins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My current system (a 1.8 ghz intel) based PC bogs down and freezes
when I run multi variable optimizations while computer at work is fine.
(It's a 2.2 ghz)

Good excuse to put together a new system. I was thinking of the newer
AMD / Athlon 64 bit systems and was curious whether anyone has had any
positive or negative experiences with newer 64 bit m/boards or chips or
any other thoughts recomendations.

Regards to all..

Dean Hodgins

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.