[amibroker] AmiBroker Performance Continued -- What Settings are Fastest?

Hi again,

Thanks for all the responses with respect to my question about what
affects the performance of AmiBroker with regards to computing
power.  After doing several tests on a few different computers, I am
equally confused about which database settings will offer the best
performance in various situations.  Here are some specifics:

On an Athlon XP ~2000+ laptop with 512MB RAM, increasing the maximum
RAM allowed under Tools->Preferences->Data seemed to make a
noticeable performance difference.

On a P4 1.8 GHZ with 1 GB RAM and 10,000RPM SCSI hard drive, any
combination of changing max. RAM, bars loaded (this was changed in
the File->Database Settings options since it overrides the one found
in Preferences), and number of symbols to load, seemed to make very
little to no tangible performance difference.  On a roughly 8-minute
backtest (run for two iterations in Optimization mode to see if the
second run is any faster than the first due to possibly "loading it
into memory"), any combination of these options was all within 15
seconds of all other combinations of options.  The same results were
true on the Xeon 3.06 GHZ system with 2 GB RAM.

The amount of RAM used by AmiBroker under Task Manager changed a LOT,
but the time it took to finish a two-step optimization changed only
VERY slightly, if at all (this could be attributed to the differences
in myself opening and closing the task manager window, etc.).

My question is:  What are the best settings to use for a locally
stored (C:) database with about 9,000 symbols for 10 years of EOD
data?  Since I assume the PC specs matter, what are the best settings
to use for a PC with essentially unlimited RAM vs. one with only
512MB vs. 1 GB of RAM?

If anyone could offer some guidance (Tomasz?), or possibly explain
these results, I would appreciate it greatly.

P.S.  I agree that Athlons are probably best as well, my PC at home
is an Athlon and seemed to perform very well, but sadly I am across
the world right now (Switzerland) and just stealing a bunch of
computers here at work (which are all IBM Intel-based) to run my
AmiBroker stuff.  So that's all I have to benchmark, unfortunately.