[amibroker] Re: A Scan for Stocks Making A Breakout From Base

Dickie,
Glad you ask about the PDI and MDI indicators.  They are a part of the
ADX (Average Directional Movement Index) developed by Wells Wilder. It
is an oscillator that fluctuates between 0 and 100.  It does not
determine Bullish or Bearish but rather the strength of the current
trend. You will find it in the AFL formulas in the AmiBroker library.
 The ADX is actually derived from two other indicators developed by
Wells Wilder.  They are the Positive Directional Indicator (+DI or
PDI) and the Negative Directional Indicator (-DI or MDI). These are
built in indicators for AmiBroker.  In most activity (TA) buy and sell
signals are generated when one crosses the other or is above or below.
 I've been taught for Longs never take a position unless the PDI has
crossed or is above the MDI.  The opposite for shorts.  We have a
Amibroker users group here in Dallas that consist of AmiBroker, Trade
Station and MetaStock users.  We have discussed these indicators at
length and the consensus is to make sure the PDI has crossed or above
theMDI (for longs). So, I have included it in most of the formulas I
use.  Hope this clarifies.

Dick H.