Re: [amibroker] Re: PositionSize / Capital

Pal Anand wrote:

Really?  I just calculated ATR(14) for stock (Guess?, Inc. on NYSE)
GES. It is a $12.15 stock and the value was 0.608 and for AMZN
(Amazon.com Inc., on Nasdaq) which is a $40.13 stock and the value
was 1.317, more than double.

Because of this, ATR readings can be difficult to compare across a
range of securities. Even for a single security, large price
movements, such as a decline from $50 to $10, can make long-term ATR
comparisons problematical.

Pal: if you want to compare stocks in terms of their volatility, just do it with ATR normalized to price. You are right about comparing ATRs of different stocks in absolute terms; this is meaningless. But comparing stocks on the basis of ATR/C makes much more sense.

Sorry everyone for forgetting to delete the repeated past messages of previous posters in my last post. I noticed the size of that message was 130 Kb. I'll try to remember to repeat only the most recent message when I'm answering.

Al Venosa