[amibroker] Re: PositionSize / Capital

well, you said:

"Although the position sizing being independent of the price of
the  stock seems counterintuitive, I just reread the chapter in Van
Tharp's book on this ("Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom") and
I think that's the way it's supposed to be."

I think you should re-think about your statement.  Just trying to
help here :)

ATR - An indicator that measures a security's volatility, but gives
no indication of price direction or duration.  If you are talking
about any other measures of volatility in this discussion, it is out
of context.

rgds, Pal
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "danielwardadams"
<danielwardadams@xxxx> wrote:

> I think the (communication) problem is in equating ATR with
> volatility. In actuality, I think volatility has to be shown as
some
> function of price. The volatility measure I used for PositionScore
in
> the system I mentioned was C/ATR(5). Graham spoke of volatility
(not
> ATR) when he said "Higher price = lower volatility".
>
> Obviously Berkshire Hathaway has a large ATR (> $1000) while a $1
> stock has a small one (pennies). But the low priced one can move a
> lot faster :-}.
>
> Dan
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Pal Anand" <palsanand@xxxx>
wrote:

> > Really?  I just calculated ATR(14) for stock (Guess?, Inc. on
NYSE)
> > GES. It is a $12.15 stock and the value was 0.608 and for AMZN
> > (Amazon.com Inc., on Nasdaq) which is a $40.13 stock and the
value
> > was 1.317, more than double.
> >
> > Because of this, ATR readings can be difficult to compare across
> > range of securities. Even for a single security, large price
> > movements, such as a decline from $50 to $10, can make long-term
> ATR
> > comparisons problematical.
> >
> > Just a refresher:
> >
> > Wilder started with a concept called True Range (TR) which is
> defined
> > as the greatest of the following:
> >
> > The current high less the current low.
> > The absolute value of: current high less the previous close.
> > The absolute value of: current low less the previous close.
> >
> > If the current high/low range is large, chances are it will be
used
> > as the TR. If the current high/low range is small, it is likely
> that
> > one of the other two methods would be used to calculate the TR.
The
> > last two possibilities usually arise when the previous close is
> > greater than the current high (signaling a potential gap down
> and/or
> > limit move) or the previous close is lower than the current low
> > (signaling a potential gap up and/or limit move). To ensure
> positive
> > values, absolute values are to be applied to differences.
> >
> > rgds, Pal
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham" <gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:
> > > It is my experience that volatility is normally inverse to price
> > > Higher price = lower volatility
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Graham
> > > http://e-wire.net.au/~eb_kavan/

So,
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Anthony
> > risk
> you
PositionSize /
> > > better
> > positionsizing.
> ("posqty",5,2,10,1); //
> > > no.
> > equity
> you
> > > use
> > > (equal
> > > examine
> > > capital
> > Why
> > more
> before
> > > you
> of
> > Checking
> > discover
> stocks
> > > you
> > > risky
> > > equal
> full
> > your
> fit
> > > the
> volatility,
> > > the
> > > that
> longer
> the
> moment.
> some
> > > day
> > > clear,
> > your:
> > > same
> > > BuyPrice),stopLoss /
> > > results
> > > somewhat
TrailStop
> > > be
> > max
> > (20)
> > > Stock
> of
> > > 40.
> do
> > > you
> 500
> > $20,000.
> > > lines
> BuyPrice/StopAmt;
> > (0.01
> > > *
Keep
> in
> means
> > If
> > coefficient
> > > order,
> > the
> > what
> price
> > of
positionsize

unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > subject
> --
> > --
> > > --
> > email
> the

> --
> > --
> > > --
> > to:
> > > Yahoo!

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295sokvr/M=294855.5468653.6549235.300117

6/D=groups/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1102952992/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/